• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need help!?!

Joey Gates

Hi guys...new to this page but needed help. I just got a female Ice tegu hatchling from underground reptiles in August so she's about 3-4 months old. 20 gallon long, 160 watt powersun light on one side. She was fine when I first got her but for the past month she's been acting funny. Doesn't come out as much and eats once in a while (usually when I mist the tank and the humidity sky rockets). I was thinking that she was sick but then wondered if she was hibernating. It freaked me out because she's so small/young and my male red that I bought about her size/age never hibernate at all.
please let me know if this ever happened to anyone? Thanx

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome Joey. Tegus brumate, sleep, for some portion of the winter. Some wake up from time to time, othets down for the count. Might last 3-6 mo.

Get the tegu into a MUCH larger enclosure with 110-115f bask site, loe-mid 80s ambient, and 70s f moist hide. With winter upon us, shorten daylength and bask light time and see what happens.

Joey Gates

Thanks Walter. I had her in a 40 breeder that I used for my male that was about her size when I got him in December but figured that it might be too big/cold for her so I moved her to a 20 long. Should I just put her back in the 40 with the 160 watt powersun and another low wattage basking light like a 50 watt next to it?
She's my first hatchling so I'm a lil lost. My male was about her length but he was way thicker and looked indestructible.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd move her as long as you can provide the necessary temps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced