• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need new enclosure & seeking advice

Jenniefromtheblock

Hey guys,

So I have two wild caught tegus from the everglades, both about a year old. My enclosure right now is 4 X 2, 75 or 90 gallon tank i cant remember which. I had only planned on getting 1 but he needed a friend so now there is 2! The one I got first I've had for about 2 months and he went from 12 inches to about 36 inches already! Hence the need for more space for him ASAP especially now that I have two of them in there, even though the second one is only about 10 or 12 inches (missed brumation and his tail in regrowing).
I can only have them outdoors (my husband wants nothing to do with them) and I built a 6X8 foot shed that I have their tank in right now with an AC unit, humidifier, heat lamps, etc. so the environment could be controlled all year round because these are my first Tegus and I wanted everything perfect for them.
I am wondering what to do next, I can use the whole shed as the enclosure if needed but I worry about these wild escape artists getting loose (I had an issue already thank god is resolved) and I dont know what I should do for the net enclosure. I really dont want to build something myself, and I dont want to pay an arm and a leg. So I am looking for advice/options on the best route to go. I was looking at some chicken coops/do kennels/rabbit hutch style to put outside but I am too scared they will get out if it is directly outdoors. The shed is large enough but is plastic type material, very sturdy, but the front doors open up the whole front of the shed and I would need something extra to stop them from being able to push out, or run out as soon at its opened.
I am open to options, I just dont want to go one route and have to restart again and again until I find the right idea, because like I said these are my first babies.
Thanks!!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey guys,

So I have two wild caught tegus from the everglades, both about a year old. My enclosure right now is 4 X 2, 75 or 90 gallon tank i cant remember which. I had only planned on getting 1 but he needed a friend so now there is 2! The one I got first I've had for about 2 months and he went from 12 inches to about 36 inches already! Hence the need for more space for him ASAP especially now that I have two of them in there, even though the second one is only about 10 or 12 inches (missed brumation and his tail in regrowing).
I can only have them outdoors (my husband wants nothing to do with them) and I built a 6X8 foot shed that I have their tank in right now with an AC unit, humidifier, heat lamps, etc. so the environment could be controlled all year round because these are my first Tegus and I wanted everything perfect for them.
I am wondering what to do next, I can use the whole shed as the enclosure if needed but I worry about these wild escape artists getting loose (I had an issue already thank god is resolved) and I dont know what I should do for the net enclosure. I really dont want to build something myself, and I dont want to pay an arm and a leg. So I am looking for advice/options on the best route to go. I was looking at some chicken coops/do kennels/rabbit hutch style to put outside but I am too scared they will get out if it is directly outdoors. The shed is large enough but is plastic type material, very sturdy, but the front doors open up the whole front of the shed and I would need something extra to stop them from being able to push out, or run out as soon at its opened.
I am open to options, I just dont want to go one route and have to restart again and again until I find the right idea, because like I said these are my first babies.
Thanks!!
What state do you live in?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
just build a partician wall/screen just inside the main door so you can go through the main door shutting it behind you befor you go into your tegu housing.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My concern for outdoors in Florida is the ecoligical damage of escape. However, if lector hannibal max. security, tegus will thrive in an outdoor enclosure anywhere in Florida.

Jenniefromtheblock

My concern for outdoors in Florida is the ecoligical damage of escape. However, if lector hannibal max. security, tegus will thrive in an outdoor enclosure anywhere in Florida.
Yeah I am worried if It is completely outdooors it wont be secure enough unless i get a custom built, or build it myself.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Could you dig a small trench round and wrap the housing in chicken wire that is sunk into the floor for extra security and piece of mind;);)

Skarvel

Hello I will be purchasing a tegu in a few months (not sure about the species yet but I'm most likely going to get a b/w Argentina or red) and I'm soon going to be building an outdoor enclosure for it. I live in central Florida and I was wondering if I'd need to purchase heat lamps or ceramic/UV bulbs for the enclosure and, if needed, where the best placement for them will be. The enclosure will be 8x4.

Cjskafish14

you could dig the trench and add river rocks and cover the rocks so its nearly impossible to dig through it, and also incorporate the chicken wire.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam