• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need Weigh-In from the Forum

My son has a Golden Tegu, we've had for 2 years now. He has not bitten us, but he will just not calm down. He jumps, scratches and is not a pet like we would prefer.

Now he wants to get a red and for 2 reasons. 1, overall size is larger. 2, and most importantly, all research says the Argentines are calmer and easier to handle. We would like to be able to take the Tegu with us to places, like indo my snake, but that will never happen with the gold.

So what is the question here?? To get the red, he's going to have to let the go. In go, the same store we bought him from and will buy the red from, will take him. I've never let a pet go and am having moral conflicts about doing this, but we simply cannot have both. Should I be having such a moral conflict over this?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I can relate to your problem - I chose to stay with my problem child, but most of my probs only lasted for about 10 months (which seemed like forever). My B/W was a Florida rescue, and he also didn't want to calm down at all. The death roll was his favorite move. He now acts like he's surrendered to my presence, but I would be uncomfortable trying to take him anywhere at all. I can understand the moral conflicts - but maybe there's someone that doesn't mind the extra trouble it takes to stay with it? I'm glad I did, because my little monster has made some huge improvements. I can't imagine trying to stay with it for 2 years....I was def at my wits end when he decided to be a little more compliant. I can totally understand the situation with sharing the experience with your son too. They grow up fast. Then again - there's no guarantee that you'll get a cuddler!! Someone should correct me if necessary - I thought the reds were a little more aggressive than the B/W's. If you do decide to make the switch - I would go with a baby. They are easier to handle and seem less prone to biting....but that's just my experience. I've had 2 babies, and both acted much less aggressive than the 1 yr old that is the problem child. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!

Thanks for the reply Debita. We did end up letting the gold go and I hope they find the owner for him that is able to calm him. My son is now the proud owner of a baby red tegu, named "Blue". As of right now, blue stays hidden, but it has been less then a week. Will certainly keep the forum posted as their relationship advances.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced