• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New adult tegus

Roxy

Hi everyone. Well I am new to the Tegu world even though I’ve been wanting them for a while. I’ve had large monitors before and I own other reptiles. The thing with mine now. Male and female is that I was told they were 1.5 years and 2 year olds. One was caught in Florida and has a scar in her lip. The male Bruce was suppose to be the more calm one. He hisses all the time and has charged me before thankfully didn’t try to bite. I think he was just showing me he was boss. The female flo I’ve been able to handle a few times but she’s gone down to what seems like brumation already. They’ve both been out and about the house but Bruce will not let us near him and always gets ready to attack. Now I just don’t let him out. They had a humidifier but I also spray them down yesterday he lounged himself at the spray bottle. Almost like he was trying to bite it. He tries to come out if the enclosure straight to me. But I don’t know what he will do so I can not ever spend time with him now. I only talk and feed him. Am I teaching him that I am only food by only feeding him? Flo will even let me wake her up. Still I don’t try to cuddle with them yet. Thank you everyone

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi...... just remember their whole life has being turned upside down, sounds like you know what you are doing just remember slowly catches the monkey so just have patience and I'm sure everything will settle.:D

Roxy

Yes I agree. I haven’t tried to pick him up because he seems to observe me a lot and then hisses at me and I so t want to distrust him even more. I just don’t know when would be a good try to try. I’ve had them o my a month. They are pretty full grown.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm wondering about the male. Do you know anything of his history?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
My male hissed, raised up and charged me for about 10 months. My approach was to go very slowly, so he could learn that he's not in danger. Walter1 taught me to put an old tee shirt in the tank so your male smells you and sees you and associates you in a non-threatening way. You start to become used to their fake charges, and antics quickly, and for me, I backed off every time he seemed aggressive in any way. I've had Skully now for a year and a half, and he's mostly even tempered. I never got bit by him being aggressive, but I very quickly figured out his intent, so as not to agitate the situation. Diffusing it is best, even if that means walking away for the moment. Good luck!! It's worth the work!

Alpha Alpha will tell you to let them settle in over many days without expecting too much from them. They take their time to resolve their new situation. Hopefully, it won't be 10 months for you!

Roxy

I'm wondering about the male. Do you know anything of his history?
I was told he was nice and the girl man turned it opposite. And note I think they were both wild caught and I was lied to I don’t even know there she at this point one person said they were 2 the one who selected said one. I’m so sad and disappointed

Roxy

My male hissed, raised up and charged me for about 10 months. My approach was to go very slowly, so he could learn that he's not in danger. Walter1 taught me to put an old tee shirt in the tank so your male smells you and sees you and associates you in a non-threatening way. You start to become used to their fake charges, and antics quickly, and for me, I backed off every time he seemed aggressive in any way. I've had Skully now for a year and a half, and he's mostly even tempered. I never got bit by him being aggressive, but I very quickly figured out his intent, so as not to agitate the situation. Diffusing it is best, even if that means walking away for the moment. Good luck!! It's worth the work!

Alpha Alpha will tell you to let them settle in over many days without expecting too much from them. They take their time to resolve their new situation. Hopefully, it won't be 10 months for you!
Thank you this I will try with the shirt the girl sleeps 5 days at a time and the boy is out almost everyday he comes up to the enclosure door and watches me very Carefully if I open it he rubs up to the door I get scared and close it. I’ve never been so scared of a reptile it ducks because he’s mine and I feel I know nothing but think they were wild caught

Mamasaurus

If you're that worried just get some winter gloves or something that would at least lessen the blow. It just takes time, patience, and not gonna lie it takes some balls at first. It is extremely disappointing when they take time because you are so excited. My baby is wild caught too and he's a good boy. Very tolerant but he still only tolerates me and its been 10 months.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dispositions vary. They range from aloof to genuinely affectionate. Regardless, they tame and tolerate at least.

Roxy

Yes thank you for the fees back I actually just did that. I put on some gloves pulled out the girl and had her with us for about two hours. Yesterday I let her sleep today I pulled her about an hour she finally escaped and is sleeping u see her enclosure but she’s been great. I have a few battle woulda from here claws but nothing crazy. I was Anle to take off the gloves to. The boy on the other hand was shedding completely I took some off with the gloves it seems he appreciated that but didn’t want to come out but I’ve been messing with him to. I am very excited now. And yes it took ballsbut we did it. I think he’s not letting her eat so I’m separating them during feeding he ate 4 mice and she had none so I’m giving her turkey balls

Roxy

Dispositions vary. They range from aloof to genuinely affectionate. Regardless, they tame and tolerate at least.
I think they just weren’t socialized but I also think they were wild which is why when they were given to me in a dog carrier she wouldn’t come near them. But I love them so much I won’t give up plus I payed a pretty penny

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wild caughts tame as quickly as any. Problem is when trappers treat them as wild animals and their treatment scares them. Tegusonly does not do that and in fact has their traps stolen by unethical trappers.

Roxy

Wild caughts tame as quickly as any. Problem is when trappers treat them as wild animals and their treatment scares them. Tegusonly does not do that and in fact has their traps stolen by unethical trappers.
Can u explain the last part. Well that’s good to know thank you so much all the help is needed and appreciated

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Of course. I mean that unscrupulous trappers are physically rough on the animals they catch. They don'y care. Rodney of Tegusonly treats them kindly. consequently, they're not left with terrible associations with people given that capture is tough enough. Does this help?

Roxy

Of course. I mean that unscrupulous trappers are physically rough on the animals they catch. They don'y care. Rodney of Tegusonly treats them kindly. consequently, they're not left with terrible associations with people given that capture is tough enough. Does this help?
Yes it does. Yeah my girl has a huge scar on her lip. It just makes me wonder how she got it. Thank you son much.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Good luck with them! Sounds like you're on the right track....btw - mine are a little moody when they're shedding, and I spray them more at that time. They'll bond at some point because you become their life source. Sooner or later they realize you're not a threat. I've been bit before, but it was my own fault. USE TONGS!!

I'm glad I had this tegutalk resource to help through the tough times. Everyone wants you to be successful-hang in there! :tegu:;)

Roxy

Good luck with them! Sounds like you're on the right track....btw - mine are a little moody when they're shedding, and I spray them more at that time. They'll bond at some point because you become their life source. Sooner or later they realize you're not a threat. I've been bit before, but it was my own fault. USE TONGS!!

I'm glad I had this tegutalk resource to help through the tough times. Everyone wants you to be successful-hang in there! :tegu:;)
Yes every bit here has helped so much and I’m definitely noticing the difference in our relationship. Can I ask how big was yours when u boy you and was it terribly bad I guess I’m just afraid of that part lol
can I ask a question you seem to know allí about tegus. I was reading someone elses post about parasites. And I am just trying to keep them 100 ice never had a reptile with parasites so u don’t know what to look for. My girl still seems not to want to East too much even tho I broke there brumation. She was losing weight so I’ve been pushing eating in to her And the boy seems to scratch his mouth everytime after he eats which is what I read here and someone said it could be parasites. Hoes do I know the difference. Definitely taking them to the vet I just hate to grab him and piss him off inside a carrier being he is just getting adjusted

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine arrived as nearly adult.

Mouthwiping tells you that they're finished eating for now.

First trip to the vet is always a good idea to check for an sort of issue.

Roxy

Mine arrived as nearly adult.

Mouthwiping tells you that they're finished eating for now.

First trip to the vet is always a good idea to check for an sort of issue.
Mines are 1.5 and 2.5 they said who knows what they are the bit looks about 2

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam