• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New b&w argentine

Leezard

5 Year Member
Hey guys! I recently bought a baby tegu about a week ago and he ate the second day and today. Why is he waiting a couple days in between eating? Is he still just getting used to stuff? His temp is between 85-95 during the day (I found he would burrow more and avoid the heat when it was hotter than 90) there is a cool side, water and the humidity is at 70 almost always. He's eaten eggs, turkey, and a meal worm so far, but not more than a couple bites of each. Any tips on more frequent eating? Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey guys! I recently bought a baby tegu about a week ago and he ate the second day and today. Why is he waiting a couple days in between eating? Is he still just getting used to stuff? His temp is between 85-95 during the day (I found he would burrow more and avoid the heat when it was hotter than 90) there is a cool side, water and the humidity is at 70 almost always. He's eaten eggs, turkey, and a meal worm so far, but not more than a couple bites of each. Any tips on more frequent eating? Thanks!
Congratulations on a tegu and welcome. Mid 80s ambient, hot spot of 110-115F and cool hide on other side at mid-upper 70s. OK- typical for a new one to eat right away then duck out of sight for 2-3 weeks. Probably will come out a bit when you're not around.

You might consider lowering the ambient some as they might be going into brumation/overwintering as well and not be so hungry.

Leezard

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply! When I got him from the shop they said he was eating everyday and was active at the temperatures I have him at now, so maybe he's just adjusting. I will try lowering it to see if it helps! I have a vet visit scheduled in a couple weeks just to ensure he's doing okay (he was from a shop and they were using D3 from oyster shells so I'm not totally sure he was getting proper nutrition)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602