• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New baby Colombian

gabzvmtz

Hi! I recently got my first tegu baby. He's about 5 months. At the store, I was told he would eat 2-3 crickets twice a day. However, I brought him home and he refuses to eat anything but raw eggs. I fed him both dead and live crickets, mealworms, lettuce, berries and bananas laced with calcium powder but he won't go for them. I know his behavior is normal since he's in a new place, but he does tend to sleep the day away and I have to fish him out to feed him. Any advice? I am not seeing his vet until 2 weeks from now.

I know he shouldn't be eating too much raw eggs because of biotin and the connecting dietary adivin but I don't know what else to do.

Godzilla Earth

I recomend just being patient. it takes about a week for them to adjust to a new enviroment. also you could try drizzaling other food items with eggs or just put something else in there. he'll eventually give in to his hunger and eat new things

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey and welcome ..... How recent is recently??

Sounds like its still settling in to be honest........ I'd personally cut feeding down to once a day ..... at 5 months I was just throwing a tub of hoppers/locust (10-12) in a day and I wouldn't worry about fruit or veg Alpha has never touched the stuff.

Try Fish Alpha loves salmon and jumbo prawns.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes they are cautious and take their time in trusting new thing and change...... be patient but dominant and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful relationship.

In around 2-3 months you may take a few steps back due to puberty if male (not sure on the female front) ......... At this time Alpha went from insects to proper meat

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I have a male that won't touch veggies or fruit either. I haven't had a prob with raw egg - but I don't feed it every time. I read that they would have to get an overload for them to get probs from it. The fact that he's eating is good. Have you tried frozen/thawed hoppers? Both of mine love ground turkey, so I sometimes mix in a little fruit or veggie into the mix.

Miguel.m

Hi! I recently got my first tegu baby. He's about 5 months. At the store, I was told he would eat 2-3 crickets twice a day. However, I brought him home and he refuses to eat anything but raw eggs. I fed him both dead and live crickets, mealworms, lettuce, berries and bananas laced with calcium powder but he won't go for them. I know his behavior is normal since he's in a new place, but he does tend to sleep the day away and I have to fish him out to feed him. Any advice? I am not seeing his vet until 2 weeks from now.

I know he shouldn't be eating too much raw eggs because of biotin and the connecting dietary adivin but I don't know what else to do.
Try ground turkey

B.G

My few month old loves hardboiled eggs (especially the yolk but I try to stick to egg whites and use
The yolk for a treats) but will not eat fruits or veggies yet, she will eat crickets when it’s the only thing I put in her cage for a day or 2 but can def tell they aren’t her favorite...the only other thing I found she loves is raw chicken so maybe give that a try. GL bro✌

Last edited:

TeguN00B

I got mine yesterday and he is quite confident the explorer eats well and is just doing fantastic! He doesn't hide much either

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced