• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Baby Columbian Black and White

ShawnB

Hello everyone, I'm new here and would like to introduce myself and my new baby! My name is Shawn I'm 31 and been raising reptiles for 10ish years.. I've worked with Beardies, snakes, turtles, monitors and now a Tegu. Currently in my collection I have a 2 year old Red tail boa, a 2-3 year old rescued Ball python, a 2 year old Snapping turtle, a rescued red ear slider, 7 Tarantulas and my newly acquired Baby Columbian B+W Tegu... My little one has been in its hide for two days now and I've read that Colombians don't hibernate so I think it just wants to be left alone... I have held it and worked with it the first day and then it disappeared. I know this is normal behavior for newer babies so I'm not worried. Plus even though it covered one side of the hide I can see it through the other entrance. I'll upload a few pics and I guess any suggestions on keeping it fed and happy while it's adjusting would be helpful. It did eat a few bite the first night I had it which was Tuesday, Wednesday it ate a little more but yesterday and today hasn't been seen... Or come out to bask... Maybe it's just full because when I got it it was a little small for its approx age... Should I just leave food in the tank while I go to work and take it out when I get home? Temps are on point 80 ambient. And 110-115 on the basking... I know that's kinda low but I read babies don't like it as hot as adults... I do plan to get a stronger bulb later this week if it doesn't start coming out...
20181010_132428.jpg
20181009_205827.jpg

Attachments

• 20181009_205810.jpg
    20181009_205810.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181011_121209.jpg
    20181011_121209.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 20181011_125514.jpg
    20181011_125514.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome ..... sounds like you know what you're doing and doing a great job..... yes I'd just put a dish of food in before work and take it out before work in these early days as you'll probably find that he is a little food shy and likes to eat in the quiet whilst young.

ShawnB

Hi and welcome ..... sounds like you know what you're doing and doing a great job..... yes I'd just put a dish of food in before work and take it out before work in these early days as you'll probably find that he is a little food shy and likes to eat in the quiet whilst young.
Thank you for your reply! And yes I assumed as much all though I did get it to eat a little out of tongs on day 2 of having. However it quickly realized what was happening and wanted nothing to do with it. Closed its eyes and everything... Quite dramatic haha also funny.. I can't wait for the coming months and I'm just going to keep offering the tong feeding if I do catch it out of the hide but if not I'll leave it in the tank till it becomes more trusting... It's only been 3 days haha the long journey has just started...

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
cool and yes they are dramatic and fun..... it will be a long and patient road, but hey its worth it and me and my boys love having Alpha around even if he is the most awkward and stubborn pet we've ever owned always wanting to go where he knows hes not allowed.....haha:D:mad::mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam