• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new baby female AA from Varnyard

Joerob568

I just received my female AA from Bobby on Tues. She wandered around her enclosure the entire first day and had some water, but would not eat. That night she buried herself and I didn't see her at all. Today I went looking for her ang attempted to feed her again to no avail. She is 4 1/2 wks old tiny and still has green on her. Do you think she is trying to hibernate or is just still scared? I would normally feed in a seperate area, but I tried leaving ground turkey in the enclosure with cod liver oil and some calcium powder and she didn't touch it. Should I keep trying or just turn the light out and call it a winter? I also have a small cat litter pan in there for water and an area where she can climb in and out since she's still so small. Is that good enough, do you think she will be able to find the water, or put a smaller water bowl in there? This is my first hibernation if she goes down. Thanks for your help!

Steven.

I would just let her be for a maybe a week.. If the long sleeping continues after the week or so.. Then i would lean toward hibernation

sent from my phone to your eyes

Steven.

O yes, trust me. If she needs water, she'll find it. Don't worry too much about food. Always offer but if she doesnt eat dont worry about it. Let her settle in first then SLOWLY make your moves.

KABIKANO

Steven. said:
O yes, trust me. If she needs water, she'll find it. Don't worry too much about food. Always offer but if she doesnt eat dont worry about it. Let her settle in first then SLOWLY make your moves.

I ko-sign what Steven said!

ReptileGuy

KABIKANO said:
Steven. said:

I ko-sign what Steven said!

Mine hides quite a bit as well. Will eat a lot though! :D

Joerob568

Thanks, I'm hoping she doesn't hibernate since she's still so young and small. I'd also like some time to start handling/taming. Hopefully she will eat this wknd.

ReptileGuy

Joerob568 said:
Thanks, I'm hoping she doesn't hibernate since she's still so young and small. I'd also like some time to start handling/taming. Hopefully she will eat this wknd.

To be perfectly honest, some people might disagree with me, but after asking a few people and doing a bit more research into hibernation I found that if you keep their lights on 12 hours a day the chance is reduced without physically keeping them from hibernation.

KABIKANO

ReptileGuy said:
Joerob568 said:

To be perfectly honest, some people might disagree with me, but after asking a few people and doing a bit more research into hibernation I found that if you keep their lights on 12 hours a day the chance is reduced without physically keeping them from hibernation.

[size=large]IT DEPENDS ON THE ANIMAL I GUESS KUZZ MY LIGHTS ARE ON A 12 ON 12 OFF SCHEDULE AND ALL MY HERPS GO DOWN TO BRUMATE EVERY FALL/WINTER.[/size]

ReptileGuy

[size=large]IT DEPENDS ON THE ANIMAL I GUESS KUZZ MY LIGHTS ARE ON A 12 ON 12 OFF SCHEDULE AND ALL MY HERPS GO DOWN TO BRUMATE EVERY FALL/WINTER.[/size]
[/quote]

I just said it reduces the chances...Doesn't mean it will work :p lol

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Werd Zeus does it comes out at 1030 am and goes in at 5 or 6 wit lights still on til 830

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Joerob568

well she finally came out today after hiding for a full 3 days! I wanted to feed her, so I set up her feeding bin, well that turned into WWIII ! She is extremely flighty and scared to death of me!! After toppling some things over and lots of hissing, whips, and bites I got her out and put her in the bin with a few crickets and some ground turkey, which she wouldn't eat. I then put her back in the enclosure with the food and I'm pretty sure she ate some. I don't want to feed her in the enclosure, but may have to for now since it stresses her out like crazy getting her in the bin.

Steven.

Instead of fighting with her.. Next time just talk to her in a calm voice and tong feed her.. That way she sees you and your not trying to grab her. You ddont want her thinking everytime she sees you she has to get ready to fight your hand. When she comes out just approach the cage slowly. No sudden movements. Then tong feed her until shes good with you being around.. Then work your hand in the situation by putting your hand in there and moving things around or spot cleaning or leveling out the substrate.. Anything to do with your hand. But act like she's not there.. I like to put my tee shirt in the hide where they sleeps.. So some kinda scent is in there for them to get use to.. It'll take time trust me.. It'll take time.

sent from my phone to your eyes

larissalurid

Yea take it slow, she's stressed and probably doesn't want food right now. She's hiding because she's scared. I say leave her be for a week at least. My extreme has been sleeping a lot more the past few days and not coming out so I think he might be starting to go into hibernation. :/ So yours could be doing that as well.

But it's a lot of patience, I can't handle mine yet and I've had him a little over a month, I tong feed him and just a week ago was able to start petting him a bit.

Joerob568

Sounds great guys, I really appreciate it. I had a male extreme in the past and got him pretty tame, but he was a bit older I think 18 inches or so when I got him, so he wasn't quite as skittish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602