• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Member - Question about sexing

dragonpilot3

Hello, I have just joined this forum as I am a new tegu owner and am unsure about the sex of the animal.

He/She is just under 900 grams and about 6 months old. I have these pictures of the cloacal area. I purchased him/her about 5 months ago.

Attachments

• download_20201110_185622.jpg
    download_20201110_185622.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • download_20201110_185621.jpg
    download_20201110_185621.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I realize this is the typical photo that people supply....and it is bad. In order to determine sex, what we need to CLEARLY see are specific scales to either side and slightly caudal to the cloaca. The kind of photo you have provided is 99% useless data. We need to be able to clearly discern individual scales, with proper lighting, resolution, and not hidden by any skin folds. In your first photo, put into another program that allows me to see a little better, there appears to be an overall structure that might indicate male, but from what I can make out of the scales, would also indicate female. From your first photo, I've circled the area that is important. You want to take another picture, specifically of this, without everything outside the circle, up close and in focus, without skin folds. I highly recommend two people and a decent camera.
download_20201110_185622.jpg

dragonpilot3

I realize this is the typical photo that people supply....and it is bad. In order to determine sex, what we need to CLEARLY see are specific scales to either side and slightly caudal to the cloaca. The kind of photo you have provided is 99% useless data. We need to be able to clearly discern individual scales, with proper lighting, resolution, and not hidden by any skin folds. In your first photo, put into another program that allows me to see a little better, there appears to be an overall structure that might indicate male, but from what I can make out of the scales, would also indicate female. From your first photo, I've circled the area that is important. You want to take another picture, specifically of this, without everything outside the circle, up close and in focus, without skin folds. I highly recommend two people and a decent camera.
Sorry about the bad pics...I have tried to get better ones but my camera isn't the best.IMG_20201119_165007.jpgIMG_20201119_164937.jpgIMG_20201119_164913.jpg

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Sorry about the bad pics...I have tried to get better ones but my camera isn't the best.View attachment 15263View attachment 15264View attachment 15265
How to put this....I'm not trying to single YOU out for this, I'm trying to inform the entire community at large. 99.999% of the photos provided are the typical underside/up the butt shots, poorly in focus, with no real means to judge accurately what the sex is...but beings as this is what everyone sees, and that most typically do not then follow through and read the comments that follow, these are the photos everyone keeps taking and posting thinking this is what works. It's kind of frustrating.

Now, with the fresh photos you've presented, I'd say you've given a much better chance of determining the sex. Still a little unfocused and low magnification, but I would say from what I see, I'd go with your tegu being male.

dragonpilot3

How to put this....I'm not trying to single YOU out for this, I'm trying to inform the entire community at large. 99.999% of the photos provided are the typical underside/up the butt shots, poorly in focus, with no real means to judge accurately what the sex is...but beings as this is what everyone sees, and that most typically do not then follow through and read the comments that follow, these are the photos everyone keeps taking and posting thinking this is what works. It's kind of frustrating.

Now, with the fresh photos you've presented, I'd say you've given a much better chance of determining the sex. Still a little unfocused and low magnification, but I would say from what I see, I'd go with your tegu being male.
Thank you so much for your help. My camera is pretty bad but I appreciate your time and consideration.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced