• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bubba

5 Year Member
Let me tell you all how I fell in love with Tegus.
I rescued a 4 feet long female black and white Argentine giant Tegu lizard, whose owner abandoned in a cage in my backyard. The first time I saw her was when she came out of hibernation the last week of February and I thought, what am I going to do with this dinosaur :?:
Before her I have had a dog, many tropical fish, birds, but never a reptile. So I started getting all the info I could get, but it wasn't until I saw the video tegu-attention on youtube that I decided to keep her. At first I feed her live rats, but noticed an increase in activity (aggressive movements) during and after chow time. So I changed her diet following a list posted on this site. It took me around a month of error and trials to get Bubba to enjoy grapes, cherries, banana, papaya, scramble eggs, cooked chicken and beef.
The easiest part was to give her raw eggs, turkey breast, raw chicken and beef, all this with calcium powder.
Then I tried placing a shirt inside her enclosure for a week. It was a complete success. From that moment on every time I stepped inside her enclosure she would remain very calm allowing me to spot clean the pen and to pet her like a puppy. I started dedicating her one hour every day. Still wearing gloves, a couple of weeks later, I started picking her up and letting her outside to roam free for an hour or so everyday. She would start digging looking for snails and eating grasshoppers especially if they jump in front of her.
By mid June I don't need the gloves anymore and Bubba has learned to eat and poop outside her enclosure. Now she is allowed inside the house to take a bath, hang out by the dirty laundry bag, hide inside the closet or just roam around the whole house.
She loves the shirt placed inside her enclosure, and cuddles in it before falling asleep.

Bubba

5 Year Member
How do I post pictures here??
You can watch her videos on youtube. Her channel is: security317 8) [/img]

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She looks healthy and proud!!

What out for retained shed on the toes. If it builds up it can cut off the circulation and she could lose a toe. I can't see how wouldn't have enough humidity down there though!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have a barrier under the fence?? I think Bobby has some chicken wire down a foot or 2 below the surface just in case they want to dig out or something wants to dig in.

Bubba

5 Year Member
I believe she is very healthy, except for a little orange spot on her left chin which shows on and off. :chin
I took care of a bit of skin left around her fingers with a cotton ball and baby oil, also we increase the humidity in her enclosure and weather has been helping 'cause it rained pretty good all last week.
Did you hear last month about the mustang corner wildfire <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2008/05/everglades-national-park-wildfire-grows-nearly-33-000-acres">http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... -000-acres</a><!-- m -->
it was very dry and windy down here, not to mention the drought we have been through for the last 3 years or more.

Regarding a barrier under the fence, still is an ongoing project. Miami-Dade county officials have started cutting hundreds if not thousands of trees in this area to avoid another wildfire from spreading near the populated areas creating the dread fire smog.
So, there is plenty of logs which I have placed temporarily between the fence and the soil ground. I can't dig far enough to put anything else, because the soil here is very hard (rocky) opposite from the wetlands that just appeared below after the rain, 3 to 5 yards away from the fence.
I found some extra chicken wire, so I will see how can I close the gaps under the fence.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great pictures! I am glad my pic tutorial is helping people!!! I think I am going to write up one using Photobucket as well since that is what I use now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980