• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Sumatran Water Monitor

m3s4

Been waiting a few weeks to get one of these beauties...

Finally received the High-Yellow, courtesy of LLLreptiles.com

Another perfectly smooth, professional transaction!

bamboo.jpg

dozer.jpg

Won't be long before this guy needs his own room...12 crickets in one sitting is pretty beastly!

m3s4

Not at all...

I'm following the proexotics guideline for them.

(Hot) basking temps are right around 135, cool temps are around 85-90.

I use a large rubber-maid 3 gallon container for a soaking area that he has access to all day/night.

He bathes with all the others 1x a day and actually holds his breath and just stays under for long periods of time - it's interesting to say the least.

Humidity is right around 65%.

Currently he's sharing my 6x2x2 enclosure with my Colombian Tai.

One thing I've noted: where the tegus will be up and active for a few hours during the day then sleep most of it away, this monitor is much more active. Oh and he already likes blankets and when he isn't roaming the enclosure, will burrow into them and nap.

Also, considering his small size, he is much more confident then any other juvenile lizard I've had. He's cool with being held, has no aggressive tendencies and isn't afraid of all that much.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you post a picture of his back legs and tail base from the top and a picture of the enclosure.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
From the pics posted the animal looks unhealthy. Also, although I'm sure you won't listen, cohabitation between species is never a good idea. If you can't get him another cage, why get the animal before you're ready? If this is by choice then to each his own.

yulyani

I love water monitor sooo much....hopefully yours is soon getting big, strong and healthy...... Congrats for the new pet!

m3s4

James, I'll try and get those pics for you.

TegusaReawesome80 - glad you can provide a detailed analysis of his unhealthy condition just by looking at two pics I actually edited in Picasa...If you look closely, you can tell that both pics have been edited...good eye tho, great job!

I think Dana's right, he's a great looking monitor. He will co-habitate with me and my entire family, my other lizards and any other pets I get. We'll all figure it out, something many have yet to do. But thanks for the input.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats, looking forward to seeing the growth of this monitor over time. Keep us posted and I hope the cohabitation doesn't take a turn for the worst. Very nice yellows!

m3s4

james.w said:
Can you post a picture of his back legs and tail base from the top and a picture of the enclosure.

As requested:

20120705_102159.jpg

20120705_102224.jpg

20120407_111446.jpg

Please note: the enclosure now houses a 3 gallon water tub, not the small tupper-ware dish you see. This was pre-monitor. The rest, is the same. There's a small plant in the far corner and they all seem to like being in it or around it which to me, makes perfect sense.

He came in last week so we're all still figuring it out together...He's eating, he's good with Tai - Tai is good with him and there's been no issues to speak of.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks a bit on the thin side, but nothing that can't be taken care of. Humidity is very important with salvators, they will dehydrate very easy. I would also recommend getting some substrate in their and getting a dubia colony if you haven't already.

I am also against cohabitation, but it seems you are set on doing it so I wish you the best of luck. I hope you keep us updated on him as I love seeing these guys grow.

HeatherN

what a beautiful guy, I've always like the idea of cohabitation, but never considered it with anything other than some anoles and tree frogs. but zoos and professional/experienced herpers do it all the time... with careful planning and upkeep of course. he sounds like such a love, isn't it great when they come to you so amazing already? :)

m3s4

james.w said:
He looks a bit on the thin side, but nothing that can't be taken care of. Humidity is very important with salvators, they will dehydrate very easy. I would also recommend getting some substrate in their and getting a dubia colony if you haven't already.

I am also against cohabitation, but it seems you are set on doing it so I wish you the best of luck. I hope you keep us updated on him as I love seeing these guys grow.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement - I truly appreciate it.

About co-habitation: If ANY of these animals were fully grown and mature, I'd take a much different approach. It would be very foolish to put a full grown water monitor in with a small tegu...What do you think might happen? Think the tegu might get eaten? Probably.

That being said, they're young. They don't know they aren't supposed to hang out together. They don't know any differently. Thus, they'll grow up together. They're getting used to each other - just like when socializing with "us". They're already "getting it".

They're figuring it out. I know this method works because our local reptile store has been doing this for over a decade. They have resident black-throats that chill with resident iguanas and a tegu. They also have a resident tortoise that chills with them, along with a boxer (dog) and all the customers that come in every day.

These are all free-roaming animals that have it "figured" out. Figured out what? How to interact with their environment and everything in and around it, including other animals and each customer that comes in.

If I can get this monitor on eggs and turkey, just like the tegus, something tells me he'll lose that killer instinct just like they have and get used to that kind of food; you know, the kind that doesn't bring out those killer hunting instincts. That's the plan for now.

HeatherN said:
what a beautiful guy, I've always like the idea of cohabitation, but never considered it with anything other than some anoles and tree frogs. but zoos and professional/experienced herpers do it all the time... with careful planning and upkeep of course. he sounds like such a love, isn't it great when they come to you so amazing already? :)

Indeed it is! I'll keep you all updated on the progress...

And for those that don't know much about these monitors, they're dope. That's all I can say. Youtube some videos...I'm sure you'll be impressed - I was.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The problem with cohabitation is the different parasites one or the other might be carrying. They are from different parts of the world and won't have the immunity to the others germs so to speak.

m3s4

james.w said:
The problem with cohabitation is the different parasites one or the other might be carrying. They are from different parts of the world and won't have the immunity to the others germs so to speak.

Very good point...hopefully that won't be a problem and is one that, while I haven't over-looked it, I am hoping it won't be major.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Oh well, screw the animals health it's more convenient for you. Seriously, that animal is skinny. Not near death. But not in healthy condition. Also, monitors NEED substrate. They burrow. They make tunnels. Your tegus probably would if you provided substrate. The animals have two totally different habitats and should be given different care. Just because an animal is alive doesn't mean keeping it has been a success.

m3s4

I know he's skinny. He arrived at my house, courtesy of fed-x via LLLreptiles 4 days ago. Wtf am I supposed to do other then feed him? Oh oh wait! You'll supply...............an answer? Lemme guess? A better one?

Thanks for more of the same, by that I mean...nothing.

Who are you anyways? Oh yea. Some guy on the internet with an opinion, and you think it matters.

I assure you and I promise you...In this thread and in my life it doesn't.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Clearly it doesn't matter. I wish you would consider the idea that you may be wrong, if only for the sake of your animals. Lost cause, moving on.

m3s4

I just find it funny that a person can have literally no information, and of what information they do have, they make wild assumptions and try and judge.

There's no one on this site, except for me, who knows how I manage and keep my reptiles.

If you don't like it, I could care less. I have a proven track-record keeping them the way I have for years. They don't NEED substrate. They don't NEED a lot of things. Reptiles have an uncanny way of adapting, and many of you could stand to learn a thing or two if you stopped being so overly-analytical AND critical. Reptiles live in this thing called their environment - last time I checked, it was changing and never stayed the same. Go figure.

What do I have to do to prove it? I already have a 5 year old tegu that has never seen substrate and is perfectly fine in 40% humidity and has been her whole life with no skin or shed problems.

I guess when I have a 30lb water monitor, and say they same thing, people will scoff at that...But the facts are the facts. If you opt to do it your way, cool. Just don't tell me how to do it - I'm not asking for anyone's advice. I've had plenty of success doing it my way. I was simply posting pics.

That's it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced