• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Bonding

CharlieTheTegu

Hello! Firstly, I'm happy to be a part of a community that seems to be as enthusiastic about tegus as you all are. I'm sure these questions have been answered a million times already but I wanted to present you with my exact situation to make sure all variables are known.

I just got my new tegu the other day (6 months old haven't gotten a length or weight) and right out of the box he was gentle and curious but a little nervous. Very happy about that mostly. I've had him for 3 or 4 days now and on the first day I made a couple mistakes I'm trying to change. I hand fed him a blueberry which he took pretty gently and I dug him out of his burrow to show a friend and he seemed interested in what was happening not too frightened and no aggression. I realized after that I should never dig him out of his burrow and I haven't done it since then.

For the first day I didn't see him at all, I put food in his cage and he came out while I wasn't around and ate some of it. The second day I fed him and I went into my reptile room while he was out and he let me stand next to the cage while he was eating but any sudden movements and he would retreat back into his log. The day after that I used tongs to feed him some insects and I bribed him into coming out with a horn worm which he easily came out and took off the tongs along with about 5 super worms and another horn worm.

Today, he came out and was eating some eggs and I attempted to open the cage to see if I could put my hand near him or at least in his territory. I presented him with a closed fist and he instantly bit me on my knuckle. Seemingly a feeding response and not an aggressive bite. I've had a nile monitor in the past and currently have blood pythons so I'm pretty experienced with feeding responses and aggressive reptiles in general. I just dont know how to go about taming him without invading his personal space. He already has associated my hands with food and I'm worried it will only get worse if I don't force some kind of interaction that isn't food related but the only way I can currently interact with him is food related. I know target training will help but how do I get him to even come out to start working with him on that.

My nile monitor ended up being "relatively" tame but I never expected her to be a completely docile reptile so I didn't mind the aggressive feeding response so its something new to me. I've owned reptiles my entire life but my nile monitor was my favorite by far which was part of the inspiration for getting a tegu because it seemed like all the parts I loved from my nile but as much as I loved her I think a nile monitor is one of the worst pets you can have so I really want to concentrate on getting him to be the best pet tegu he can be.

I've read a lot of information on tegus, I know more than the basics and im an experienced reptile keeper but sometimes information is conflicting given your specific situation. I don't want to force interaction he isn't ready for but how can I expect him to not associate my hands with food when so far thats all my hands have been used for. Feeding. I realize the blueberry wasn't the greatest start but I can only move forward from here and I want him to be a docile pet one day so I'm completely open ears for opinions and criticism.

I have tegu proofed my room which considering his size, my room and the reptile room are the only safe rooms I can make (stove, couch, fridge, etc.) I feel like he will become more comfortable around me if we are cohabitating the same space for good portions of the day( im currently on temporary lay off because of the virus, so I have nothing but time to spend with my tegu if he will allow it.)

Its been less than a week so up until this afternoon I was assuming he just needs time which is okay but I know they are creatures of habit so I dont want bad habits at a young age to quickly turn into life long problems which is the only reason I'm reaching out so soon.

Thank you all for even taking the time to read my post! Very long but I wanted to give you all the details.

Small ending post about the best nile monitor to ever live.

Her name was Sunny and she was a ball of fire when I first got her. She would latch onto me and wouldn't let go for anything. Before she passed away because of an accident involving my cat knocking her heat lamp off the cage, she was the full length of my arm and as long as I let her come out of her cage on her own she never was aggressive with me. I said in my main post I've had reptiles my entire life but my connection to my nile was on another level. There was a mutual respect that had to be there and I appreciated that. Its been years since she has passed and I really hope me and my tegu can reach that same level with each other and I know fellow owners of large lizards will know what I mean!

Attachments

• 20200430_121620.jpg
    20200430_121620.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hello! Firstly, I'm happy to be a part of a community that seems to be as enthusiastic about tegus as you all are. I'm sure these questions have been answered a million times already but I wanted to present you with my exact situation to make sure all variables are known.

I just got my new tegu the other day (6 months old haven't gotten a length or weight) and right out of the box he was gentle and curious but a little nervous. Very happy about that mostly. I've had him for 3 or 4 days now and on the first day I made a couple mistakes I'm trying to change. I hand fed him a blueberry which he took pretty gently and I dug him out of his burrow to show a friend and he seemed interested in what was happening not too frightened and no aggression. I realized after that I should never dig him out of his burrow and I haven't done it since then.

For the first day I didn't see him at all, I put food in his cage and he came out while I wasn't around and ate some of it. The second day I fed him and I went into my reptile room while he was out and he let me stand next to the cage while he was eating but any sudden movements and he would retreat back into his log. The day after that I used tongs to feed him some insects and I bribed him into coming out with a horn worm which he easily came out and took off the tongs along with about 5 super worms and another horn worm.

Today, he came out and was eating some eggs and I attempted to open the cage to see if I could put my hand near him or at least in his territory. I presented him with a closed fist and he instantly bit me on my knuckle. Seemingly a feeding response and not an aggressive bite. I've had a nile monitor in the past and currently have blood pythons so I'm pretty experienced with feeding responses and aggressive reptiles in general. I just dont know how to go about taming him without invading his personal space. He already has associated my hands with food and I'm worried it will only get worse if I don't force some kind of interaction that isn't food related but the only way I can currently interact with him is food related. I know target training will help but how do I get him to even come out to start working with him on that.

My nile monitor ended up being "relatively" tame but I never expected her to be a completely docile reptile so I didn't mind the aggressive feeding response so its something new to me. I've owned reptiles my entire life but my nile monitor was my favorite by far which was part of the inspiration for getting a tegu because it seemed like all the parts I loved from my nile but as much as I loved her I think a nile monitor is one of the worst pets you can have so I really want to concentrate on getting him to be the best pet tegu he can be.

I've read a lot of information on tegus, I know more than the basics and im an experienced reptile keeper but sometimes information is conflicting given your specific situation. I don't want to force interaction he isn't ready for but how can I expect him to not associate my hands with food when so far thats all my hands have been used for. Feeding. I realize the blueberry wasn't the greatest start but I can only move forward from here and I want him to be a docile pet one day so I'm completely open ears for opinions and criticism.

I have tegu proofed my room which considering his size, my room and the reptile room are the only safe rooms I can make (stove, couch, fridge, etc.) I feel like he will become more comfortable around me if we are cohabitating the same space for good portions of the day( im currently on temporary lay off because of the virus, so I have nothing but time to spend with my tegu if he will allow it.)

Its been less than a week so up until this afternoon I was assuming he just needs time which is okay but I know they are creatures of habit so I dont want bad habits at a young age to quickly turn into life long problems which is the only reason I'm reaching out so soon.

Thank you all for even taking the time to read my post! Very long but I wanted to give you all the details.

Small ending post about the best nile monitor to ever live.

Her name was Sunny and she was a ball of fire when I first got her. She would latch onto me and wouldn't let go for anything. Before she passed away because of an accident involving my cat knocking her heat lamp off the cage, she was the full length of my arm and as long as I let her come out of her cage on her own she never was aggressive with me. I said in my main post I've had reptiles my entire life but my connection to my nile was on another level. There was a mutual respect that had to be there and I appreciated that. Its been years since she has passed and I really hope me and my tegu can reach that same level with each other and I know fellow owners of large lizards will know what I mean!

You're on the right track - no worries! I have 2 Tegus, and while they're a handful at times, they are smart and adapt. You're little one doesn't have a clue what's happened to him, and he's just settling. It's truly different for every animal, but I think the general consensus is that the younger the Tegu, the faster the settle. Like, 1-2 wks.

I've been bit by an adult male and it really wasn't funny. It was totally my fault - I had been feeding mice with my hand on occasion, then decided to offer him one in the tub, where he hadn't ever eaten before. He jumped and got my whole thumb. There was a strange beauty to his speed and voracity! So.... a friend here on the site said "tongs tongs tongs". Good advice. Your little guy won't start a bad habit with one event. Truth is, I think my male was startled that he got more than he bargained for, and that's as much a reason to never let it happen as the pain and shock I went through...lol I want him to only have calm very peaceful situations as much as possible.

You'll enjoy this forum - these members love their animals, and are protective of the species. Ask lots of questions! We've all had different experiences. Cute pic of him/her!! Thx for that!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just sounds like settling in to me still .....just remember you've turned this little guys all world on his head so things could take a step back before they improve..... Tegu's tend to be reserved and a little uneasy when it comes to change and they take a dipping of the toe approach rather than diving straight in.

As for the taming if you can't start by putting your hand in the enclosure due to biting, just put it so he sees it through the glass and get him used to you where he can't get you, get him comfortable and then move in the enclosure.

Also I dig Alpha out anytime I like and invade his bed every night for a tickle and I've never encounted a problem with this. Although I'm not saying he doesn't let me know if hes not in the mood by the way he acts. I believe this keeps you in the most dominant role and that what i say or do goes but also you have piece of mind that if there was ever an instance where you HAD to, there would be no problems in doing so.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Forgot to say, there's something to be said for having finessed a nile monitor. Sorry about your Sunny - she sounded like a cool animal. I'd love to have one, but they're a little beyond my speed. Close!!, but I'm at the age where I need to watch the blood pressure. :confused:

You're really going to be good with your Tegu.

Godzilla Earth

Forgot to say, there's something to be said for having finessed a nile monitor. Sorry about your Sunny - she sounded like a cool animal. I'd love to have one, but they're a little beyond my speed. Close!!, but I'm at the age where I need to watch the blood pressure. :confused:

You're really going to be good with your Tegu.
It stinks to be old, my parents have told me storys..

GinaF

I recently adopted a 7 or 8 month old golden tegu. Boy is he feisty. Pretty sure he hates me. Lol But I am also furloughed and have plenty of time to work with him. I learned the same lesson about feeding. Definitely use tongs now. I've learned to be slow and calm and talk softly to him. He just started eating well because he was so skittish.
My daughter got him from a Herp show and he was wild caught. Not a good idea. especially being a golden, I have since learned. Any tips you guys could give me would be welcomed!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I recently adopted a 7 or 8 month old golden tegu. Boy is he feisty. Pretty sure he hates me. Lol But I am also furloughed and have plenty of time to work with him. I learned the same lesson about feeding. Definitely use tongs now. I've learned to be slow and calm and talk softly to him. He just started eating well because he was so skittish.
My daughter got him from a Herp show and he was wild caught. Not a good idea. especially being a golden, I have since learned. Any tips you guys could give me would be welcomed!

Just coming up to a year boys are coming into their manhood and usually take a few steps back. Keep working with him and don't believe all you read about Colombians (golds).... have patience be persistent and I'm sure you'll both fall in love.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Lots of us have wild caughts here, and we can empathize for as long as you need! You can rant, and be frustrated and vent... we get it. These forum members really hang in there even when we respond and nobody answers. :D

I've got two B/W's and I think the wild caughts bond as well as any captive bred. But - depending on the personality, they might require more time. Depends on how long they were wild. My male took a very long time (I usually say 10 months before he gave up the ship) but he was a full year old before I got him. My female only took a couple weeks, but I got her when she was 2-3 months. Both W/C.

Hang in there you'll make it!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
By the way - he does hate you for now.

The funniest comment I got when I went through this same issue was when one of the members told me he thought his new Tegu was Satan's spawn. It really summed it up for me, in the most odd way....then I really wanted to conquer him. Now, there's nothing like seeing his reaction when I appear. He exhales, and literally relaxes. He surrenders - unless he thinks it's bath time.

GinaF

Progress! He got on my hand today and no biting! He even stopped hissing after a few seconds. I even pet his chin!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-110131_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-110131_Snapchat.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 14

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam