• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu... Need help with taming :)

evelyn9755

Hi, I’m Evelyn and I’m a first time tegu owner. I recently got my b&w about 2 days ago, he’s eating fine but I’m having trouble starting to tame him. Pretty sure hes around 4 months old and he was pretty grumpy yesterday when I tried to say hi, he reacted aggressively. He huffed and puffed a bit and was overall not happy, which is understandable because of all the traveling he’s been doing. I left him alone today. Should I give him a week or so to calm down before I try to start trying to handle/tame? Also, is there a correct way to react to agressive behavior like that? Thank you! Any help at all will be greatly appreciated :)

Radical Reptiles

Hi Evelyn
No expert but from my experience it will take time for your Gu to get used to you.
2 days especially if he did some traveling is a very short amount of time.
Just keep at it and you should be able to create a bond that will hopefully last many,many years.
Best of luck

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes give him/her time to settle in....... Once you are ready to try taming If you start moving in and notice aggression I would stop moving and jut leave your hand where it is until the mouth gaping and hughing stops .... Build on it each day until you are both comfortable with each other

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam