• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu owner, baby wont eat!!!!!

Newtot

Ok so i have had this lil guy or gal about two weeks. It wont touch a thing i have tried. Live insects, ground turkey mush mixed with chicken hearts and gizzards and veggies, frozen thawed fuzzy, horn worms, dubia. I took him to the vet and they said he seems healthy, but they couldnt do a paracite check due to no poo. Told me to drop that back by if he does. They gave me a syringe to force feed him if need be. But i have no clue yall. Any advice would be great. Its in a tank with basking temp 115, with about 3 to 4 inches of substrate thats cypress mulch, topsoil mix. Cool side is 80 to 84. Humidity goes quick even with misting so i think thats the issue. 10.p uvb. I have ordered a grow tent and a reptile fogger and humidistat. Tips? I dont want anything to happen to my lil one. I also have handled it as little as possible bc i want it to eat.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Since you've gotten him/her has it loss weight due to not eating?, will it drink water? when you place it in the tank does it borrow into its hide? I'm just wondering if it's trying to brumate. My male when it got stressed out being house with my female brumated for about 6 months. If the vet says its healthy and it refusing food then that's what my assumption would be. Have you tried scramble eggs? I know mine loved that! Also if you have it in a tank to help with the humidity to wrapping a portion of the screen lid in saran wrap.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How about some sardines in water? Or tilapia? Does he go to the basking spot? How big in the enclosure? Any pics?

Newtot

How about some sardines in water? Or tilapia? Does he go to the basking spot? How big in the enclosure? Any pics?
No i havent tried any of those but i definitely will. He is in a 30 gal enclosure, but i ordered a big grow tent. Yes he does go to the basking spot, really smells the food but never eats.

Newtot

Since you've gotten him/her has it loss weight due to not eating?, will it drink water? when you place it in the tank does it borrow into its hide? I'm just wondering if it's trying to brumate. My male when it got stressed out being house with my female brumated for about 6 months. If the vet says its healthy and it refusing food then that's what my assumption would be. Have you tried scramble eggs? I know mine loved that! Also if you have it in a tank to help with the humidity to wrapping a portion of the screen lid in saran wrap.
It burrows most of the time. It comes out and basks around lunch time. I dont think its lost weight, but kinda hard to tell. I have tried hard boiled eggs...no go. I bought a reptile fogger to help with humidity

Dinomama

He may still be getting settled in, something that may help calm him is to wear an old shirt for a couple of days and then place in his hide. Another food item that many tegus find irresistible is salmon.

Adramelec

5 Year Member
My Boy hide in his hole for the first Week. The second Week he was roaming around in his enclosure for a few minutes a day. In the third Week he finally ate Egg, a bit heated and a small hole in the Shell. Take your Time and let him settle, the rest will come :)

Teggers

My baby boy ate absolutely nothing for 2 weeks, one tiny bite of salmon in the third week, nothing in the 4th week. In the 5th week, it's like a switch went off. He became a ravenous eating machine! I'm sure yours will too. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980