• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu owner. Hello!

Tate Sayers

I bought my first tegu a few weeks ago. His name is blue and hes a yearling black and white. His tail has a nubby end because he got into a fight when housed with some other tegus. He is mine now tho. As a new owner I do wanna say I am a bit worried. Its winter here and he was shipped in the mail. He arrived cold.. set up in his new enclosure he backed right away since then in the last three weeks he hasnt eaten anything. Last week some time I got him to lick the yolk out of a couple soft boiled eggs but that's it. I have offered frozen thawed mice crickets grass hoppers eggs wet dog food of multiple flavors and ground beef . The previous owner said he loved crickets so I let a load of them run free in his enclosure. Not sure if hes been eating them or not. He pooped the day I got him then once more yesterday only this time there wasnt much to it... I have read up alot about this and people say not to worry and to let him adjust and brummating and what not. It does get colder in there at night.. sometimes 65 which I know is too cold I have been running ceramic heater at night to keep the temp up. 80-90 during the day. 75- 80 on the cooler side. And a basking spot of about 120. He comes out for awhile daily tho so I know hes active which makes me question hibernation.
I just want him to eat and be healthy.. any advise would be great thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome. Please tell more about him. What state is he from, what state do you live in? Does his weight look good?

Tate Sayers

He originally came from an owner in Florida. Captive bred born Last april. I live in Pennsylvania. I don't know much about how he should look plumped up but his tail is still firm and thick looking. Tho his sides ar wrinkly skin.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you upload a picture. Most likely, daylength change has him all bolixed up and wanting to overwinter longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced