• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Owner.... Hi Everyone!!

Bunni22

What’s the best way to handle my male tegu?? He’s very jumpy and aggressive at times even when it’s time to eat, yikes!! I’ve only had him for a couple of months, I want to bond/build trust with him.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
They are not easy animals. It takes a lot of patience, and then you need to find more patience. Sounds like he's young? It's the best time to get him accustomed to you and there are lots of ways to do that. Putting an old (because you won't be wearing it after this) worn shirt in his enclosure is a good idea. He will start to associate your scent with normal life, and start that bonding process. He'll hide under it, and push it all over the tank. Be around the tank as often as you can, even without entering the tank, or putting your hands in. Talk to him a lot. Use tongs to feed him. They love frozen/thawed mice (pinkies if he's little). I made the mistake of dangling mice for my male by hand and everything was going so well until he overshot the mouse one day, and nearly took out my thumb. Lots of pain - scarring - ugh! It wasn't his fault at all. It was mine. I felt bad that I put him in that position to have bitten me. He actually looked odd, and wondered what happened. I had no idea he would lunge like that because he hadn't done it before.

Good to have you here! There's a lot of great information on this forum, and people that like helping.

Bunni22

Thank you for the great advice I will definitely try the shirt idea and I never thought of doing the pinkies. I’ve been doing large crickets, shrimp and small pieces of boneless chicken breast. Omg on getting bit I had my first little nip today actually and I could tell he was kinda sorry lol. I’m not sure how old he is but I do know he’s still young. Thanks again for your help I greatly appreciate it!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced