• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu owner

CodyM93

Hello there,
I am a new tegu owner and have a few questions on if my tegu is really stressed or about to hiburnate? Its starting to worry me because he hasnt ate anything in 4 to 5 days now and the moment he was put in his enclosure, he instantly burrowed himself under the mulch and a ledge. Wont even come out to explore, bask or anything. I had him shipped to me via 1 day overnight express and i guess the postal service had a mix up and i actually didnt recieve him until 2 days later. He hissed and puffed up his back when i seen him than in his burrow he continue to hisses and hides. So i dont believe he is sleeping or hiburnating. Just dont wanr the poor fellow to die from not eating and i wont dig him out from where he is burrowed.

Enclosure dimensions are 6x4x5 with 2 250w heat lamps from lowes one red one white. Red for night time and enclosure heat and the white for basking heat. Uvb is a 46in reptisun 5.0 t8 bulb approx 12in away and runs majority of the length of the enclosure. There is a cool hide as well. Basking spot is 110-115° the enclosure temp itself was 80° when i checked and the cool hide was right around 70-75°

Where he is burrowed underneath the ledge tho was reading 67-69°? Which is the coldest spot in the enclosure it seems. If i am missing anything please feel free to ask. I went through hell to get him here safe and dont wanna loose him because he wont eat at all and wont even come out to explore drink water or anything. He just burrows all day and night but is awake and hisses. Pictures to come upon request. Please help!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello there,
I am a new tegu owner and have a few questions on if my tegu is really stressed or about to hiburnate? Its starting to worry me because he hasnt ate anything in 4 to 5 days now and the moment he was put in his enclosure, he instantly burrowed himself under the mulch and a ledge. Wont even come out to explore, bask or anything. I had him shipped to me via 1 day overnight express and i guess the postal service had a mix up and i actually didnt recieve him until 2 days later. He hissed and puffed up his back when i seen him than in his burrow he continue to hisses and hides. So i dont believe he is sleeping or hiburnating. Just dont wanr the poor fellow to die from not eating and i wont dig him out from where he is burrowed.

Enclosure dimensions are 6x4x5 with 2 250w heat lamps from lowes one red one white. Red for night time and enclosure heat and the white for basking heat. Uvb is a 46in reptisun 5.0 t8 bulb approx 12in away and runs majority of the length of the enclosure. There is a cool hide as well. Basking spot is 110-115° the enclosure temp itself was 80° when i checked and the cool hide was right around 70-75°

Where he is burrowed underneath the ledge tho was reading 67-69°? Which is the coldest spot in the enclosure it seems. If i am missing anything please feel free to ask. I went through hell to get him here safe and dont wanna loose him because he wont eat at all and wont even come out to explore drink water or anything. He just burrows all day and night but is awake and hisses. Pictures to come upon request. Please help!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
So far, all sounds normal. Set a bit of food out every few days for a day.

You can be sure that he’ll emerge, even briefly, on occasion until he is done adjusting and then overwintering.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just keep putting food out for him ,I'm sure hes just settling in or could even be settling down for hibernation... But I believe no animal will starve itself, if you are worried leave food out and go out for an hour or 2 he might be more tempted to eat in private at this early stage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam