• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Owner

AbyssalCove

as of 2 days ago I’m a new tegu owner and I’m loving the little guy. I’ve had monitors and large snakes before but never a tegu. I’ve always loved them but it was unfamiliar territory and I never had an opportunity to see one in person to check it’s health and temperament first. Then over this last weekend I saw a beautiful golden tegu. He had an attitude at the store so I was a little worried about taming. He bit the store clerk when she tried to get him out and tried tail whipping then running when she came back. Then I get him home and give him 2 hours to settle in. He calmed right down. No biting, minimal running and no tail whips. Watches me cautiously but no signs of fear or aggression. It’s a nice change of pace from my previous experience with monitors(aggressive Nile monitor). Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself and dodo my new gold tegu.

Attachments

• C203A06E-E5CB-447B-ABD4-BC90CDA9CBE1.jpeg
    C203A06E-E5CB-447B-ABD4-BC90CDA9CBE1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome Abyssa. Goldens, Reds, and Black and Whites have different personalities, and those vary among individuals.A good number of golden tegus are kept by members of this site, so you and dodo will be in good company.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Very nice looking animal - I can see why you were taken with him/her! That behavior is very normal when something is happening to a Tegu that they are not happy about. Give him a lot of time to settle, and get used to you being (dare I say it...) the new norm.

AbyssalCove

Welcome Abyssa. Goldens, Reds, and Black and Whites have different personalities, and those vary among individuals.A good number of golden tegus are kept by members of this site, so you and dodo will be in good company.
Thank you for the nice welcome

AbyssalCove

Welcome! as walter said, lots of peeps with golden tegus here. go explore! lots of friendly people here
Thank you
Very nice looking animal - I can see why you were taken with him/her! That behavior is very normal when something is happening to a Tegu that they are not happy about. Give him a lot of time to settle, and get used to you being (dare I say it...) the new norm.
thanks for the advice.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello and welcome ....UK Colombian owner here.

just remember you've turned this little guys all world on his head so things could take a step back before they improve..... Tegu's tend to be reserved and a little uneasy when it comes to change and they take a dipping of the toe approach rather than diving straight in.

AbyssalCove

just remember you've turned this little guys all world on his head so things could take a step back before they improve..... Tegu's tend to be reserved and a little uneasy when it comes to change and they take a dipping of the toe approach rather than diving straight in.
Understandable. Thanks for letting me know

Godzilla Earth

that is true. give the little guy some time and he'll get used to it

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam