• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Owner

verohaydee312

Hello Everyone!

I just bought my first Tegu today and I would love to get some advice on the care and anything specific I need to know! His name is Rhaegal
122922693_358276525249964_3276137700568024556_n.png

Zyn

get him in a warm bath to get the stuck shed off. Check poops for parasites, and run your fingers down his spine something looks off. I’m not trying to sound down here but I’ve seen the animals these breeders/whole sellers bring to local reptile shows and 95% of the time they are wild caught/Florida caughts or imports. They always have missing tails, rubbed noises and haven’t had the best care. I’ve personally got into confrontations with these whole sellers. They are seeing the up tick in tegu popularity and taking advantage. Just keep an eye on him/her and hope for the best.

verohaydee312

Great will do. Thank you. I picked him up and everything seems normal and okay to me, his tail looks strong and he looks very healthy, but will keep an eye on him. Thank you!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Start giving him/her as much food/water as she'll take. Zyn is right - to me he looks skinny - missing that plump bulge at the base of his tail up by his back legs. There's nothing wrong with wild caught animals from Florida, I've had 2 of them and they are tough as nails. In fact, I'd recommend them. Great personalities, and large in size. I just think they should be honest about where they acquired them from. Don't get freaked out about this -I'm sure he's a great Tegu.....he needs a lot of TLC. A vet check might be a good idea, but I'd say that about any new animal. Skinny can be easily treated!

verohaydee312

Another question. I gave him shredded raw chicken but he’s not really eating it. What else can I give him. I read they can it crickets and I have a lot of those because I have chameleons. Can I give him crickets?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yes - no problem. My female would eat them, but my male won't touch them. He won't eat any bugs at all. They both love ground turkey rolled up in meatballs
(I use the fattiest kind), salmon (I do fresh, but I know people who do canned), almost any fresh fish is great, but again I know people who do canned dog food. Don't forget to let him lap up a raw egg about twice a week....they love that. Also - when you can, give pinkies (thawed from frozen- baby mice) and start giving him hoppers after that. He might be old enough for those already. Really great diet there.

Zyn

Like deb said and there are a few sticky threads above The general area of the forum. For as an example for Sevy she only eats once every two of three day’s. But her diet looks like fresh fish salmon/sardines, ground turkey with beef liver mixed on. High end canned cat food, whole prey items at least once/twice a week she’s an adult female 75%blue 25% b/w so she gets on avg a small rat or a XL mouse whenever I feed all snakes and if any of the small snakes don’t eat she then gets their left overs. I believe in using everything so when we had some still born boas she got those as well. She likes whole quil eggs as well. She doesn’t eat much fruit outside of blue berries, she’ll take out of my hand.

Chris & Stitches

get him in a warm bath to get the stuck shed off. Check poops for parasites, and run your fingers down his spine something looks off. I’m not trying to sound down here but I’ve seen the animals these breeders/whole sellers bring to local reptile shows and 95% of the time they are wild caught/Florida caughts or imports. They always have missing tails, rubbed noises and haven’t had the best care. I’ve personally got into confrontations with these whole sellers. They are seeing the up tick in tegu popularity and taking advantage. Just keep an eye on him/her and hope for the best.
I agree that one is definitely fresh off the leaf from Florida.I just got one and she was in rough shape but after a less than a month she is doing amazing.not as friendly as my other tegu but she has never hit.daily warm baths and set a brick in the tub for it to rest it’s head out of water.mine will sit for hours and let me drain and refill repeatedly

Zyn

I agree that one is definitely fresh off the leaf from Florida.I just got one and she was in rough shape but after a less than a month she is doing amazing.not as friendly as my other tegu but she has never hit.daily warm baths and set a brick in the tub for it to rest it’s head out of water.mine will sit for hours and let me drain and refill repeatedly
Nice I built a small plastic pond in my enclosure like one from Lowe’s she lays in it a lot and poops in it more often that not easy clean up at least

Chris & Stitches

Nice I built a small plastic pond in my enclosure like one from Lowe’s she lays in it a lot and poops in it more often that not easy clean up at least
Yeah I made a creek in my enclosure with a drain for easy cleaning.they will always poop in water if available.I think it may even reduce the chance of a prolapse but I don’t know anything

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam