• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu

Blubli0911

Hi everyone I just got a tegu she's 2 years old. I have her in a 4×3×2 enclosure with about 4 to 5 in of substrate. I put a 100 watts zilla day light bulb and a 10.0 USB 13 watts bulb as well. I would like to know if I need different kinds of bulbs or this is good. Do I need light at night for my tegu? Let me know asap. I would like some feedback from everyone.

rantology

How big is she? 4x3x2 is generally very/too small for an adult enclosure. In terms of lights: You need to verify that you have the correct basking temperatures, it's less about having a specific wattage. highly suggest looking into getting a temperature gun for this (easy to find on amazon). Basking temperatures should be 115-120 degrees, ideally with at least 2 fixtures to provide adequate coverage... halogen flood lights work great for this, you can find them at home depot or other hardware store for relatively cheap (I use philips 72w floods). UVB is harder to answer since solarmeters are quite pricey and UVB exposure changes depending on hight of the fixture. Generally speaking you want to aim to get a tube fixture (arcadia makes the best) and avoid the coil bulbs. For a 2 foot tall enclosure like you have her in now, an Arcadia 12% is appropriate. If you move her to a larger enclosure however (recommended size for an adult is a 8x4x4) then you will want the 14% Dragon bulb. You can also check out MercuryVapor bulbs, I personally think they are less ideal though since they are not dimmable and combine the heat source with the UVB so the fixture needs to have an adjustable hight (recommend MegaRay or Arcadia brands). the UVB fixture should cover at least half the enclosure length, and sit primarily above the basking spot.

If you need to look into larger enclosure options on a budget, check out Grow Tents - you can get her a nice spacious 8x4x4 for $150-200. She would really appreciate the space! This will also help you give her a nice temperature and UVB gradient.

hope that helps and welcome

edit:
forgot to add, no you do not/ should not have a night light on her. They are diurnal and burrow or sleep in hides in complete darkness anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam