• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to tegus!

Margaret Ciliberto

Hello! I am new to tegus within the last few days I adopted a red tegu! The seller told me he was a sub adult coming up on 6 months old. He has also been re homed prior to me and they could not get his humidity up high enough and he ended up loosing toes due to stuck shed. I am working hard to get all his temps up! Currently struggling with the humidity I have it around 75 to 80%. Warm side is between 80 and 90. Unfortunately I don’t know the basking site temp yet because I’m struggling to find a temp gun in stock anywhere.

I am eager to have a good connection with my tegu but I wanna go about it the correct way. I got him on Monday 4/20 and he seems to want to spend most time burrowed. I have handled him each day but have read so many different things about the right way to approach and handle and introduce yourself. Seriously any advice on the best handling and bonding techniques you guys have found successful.

Attachments

• F0633DAE-B2B6-4D21-9F2F-B32E95D7BE13.jpeg
    F0633DAE-B2B6-4D21-9F2F-B32E95D7BE13.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 8

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Very good looking animal! Sounds to me like your humidity is about right. A sub-adult would need about 110dg for bask spot. First mistake all new owners do is worry about them burrowing. Just let him hide, and come to you. Putting an old worn shirt in his enclosure will start getting him used to your scent, and feel secure. Right now, he just doesn't trust yet. He wants to, but he's not sure where he's landed. This process is different for every animal, but can take 1-2 weeks. During that time, they don't eat a lot, and it seems like they'll never come out. But then they start believing they're not in danger, and the bonding begins! ;):tegu:

Margaret Ciliberto

Very good looking animal! Sounds to me like your humidity is about right. A sub-adult would need about 110dg for bask spot. First mistake all new owners do is worry about them burrowing. Just let him hide, and come to you. Putting an old worn shirt in his enclosure will start getting him used to your scent, and feel secure. Right now, he just doesn't trust yet. He wants to, but he's not sure where he's landed. This process is different for every animal, but can take 1-2 weeks. During that time, they don't eat a lot, and it seems like they'll never come out. But then they start believing they're not in danger, and the bonding begins! ;):tegu:
Thanks for the reassurance I’m doing things correctly ! I actually installed a WiFi camera facing his cage because I’m a paranoid mom and It has motion detection! Today while I’m at work I got an alert and he came out of burrowing on his own and has been basking happily !! Good to know that him not eating so much is okay while he settles in.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yes, it's totally common, and maybe the most commonly asked question here! Hopefully it gives you some peace lol....it's tough being a paranoid Mom! You bring them home, and they go hide. Wait - what?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey and welcome....... All sounds good and you sound a responsible owner.

You might want to try adding fish oil to his dinner...... Reds are known for particularly dry skin and poor sheds but the oil will help.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Also to help with shedding try giving him a bath once a week

Agree with Godzilla, it's a good habit to get into - they also get some good bonding in with that bath time. Earning trust is huge with Tegus. Mine kind of freaked out with that tub action until I was so there for them, and saved them from it all....Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced