• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to this

Tommyg

Hey I’ve kept a number of different lizards bearded dragons collared lizards etc I worked with bigger lizards never actually kept one this will be my first time owning anything that grows bigger than 2.5 feet I will be moving house soon so can’t get around to building a large vivarium yet for when it becomes an adult.
Anyway I’d like some advice or tips as most of the research I’ve done just shows adult lighting there’s never really anything I can find on the correct heating fixture for when they are babies as my tegu will be with me in a couple weeks time he’s going to be staying in a 3x2x2 vivarium just until I have my DIY one sorted I’ve read here Mercury vapour works well but are they too powerful for such a small viv? Please no hate comments or anything I’m determined to give my tegu a good life I’d just like some advice.

Tommyg

To be clear this is a baby in case anyone thinks I’m trying to keep a grown tegu in a 3 foot vivarium

eenoo

i HIGHLY recommend an adult sized enclosure for several reasons. Some tegu can grow to 3ft+ within the first 9 months. You need to be able to accommodate that.

For lighting, its less about what products you're buying, and more about what levels you're trying to achieve. Get a heat lamp and a UVB. You want a hot spot and a cool side. There are plenty of guides out there that tell you what temperatures you're looking for as well as what humidity. Specific bulbs have specifications on their websites that will tell you how hot they get and how much UVB they put out, dig in and find out which ones will work best for your setup.

Tommyg

thank you for the reply it won’t be in the small vivarium for very long trust me It’s just until my move is done and I can build my indoor walk in vivarium I was looking into the megaray 70w as a tegu breeder uses these for his babies on his YouTube channel as they aren’t as powerful as the larger megaray keep his small viv nicely humid enough space to dig should be ok until I have my walk in ready thank you for the help thought i wasn’t going to get any replies

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980