• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Nile Monitor Rescue

Rhysandfish

So I'm sorry for posting a non-tegu related thing in the general chat AGAIN, but I thought that this was actually important and could be an engaging conversation. So within the next week I will be getting a baby nile monitor for some very- i mean very inexperienced keepers who were keeping him in a bare bottom aquarium next to a baby iguana (sadly that one wasn't also for adoption) and they obviously didn't like his attitude! So I'm just asking you guys for some basic advice on how to "tame" (the argument starting word) this lizard to an extent. I have mild hands on experience but plentyful amounts of knowledge so I wanted to hear about your hands on experience with them and maybe some extra info. Thanks anyone who actually wants to help me and I wish you a merry christmas! (or hanukkah, I dont judge.)

Gray

Never had a Nile myself but I've heard many say that they are the most aggressive monitor and most never tame down

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I'm sorry for posting a non-tegu related thing in the general chat AGAIN, but I thought that this was actually important and could be an engaging conversation. So within the next week I will be getting a baby nile monitor for some very- i mean very inexperienced keepers who were keeping him in a bare bottom aquarium next to a baby iguana (sadly that one wasn't also for adoption) and they obviously didn't like his attitude! So I'm just asking you guys for some basic advice on how to "tame" (the argument starting word) this lizard to an extent. I have mild hands on experience but plentyful amounts of knowledge so I wanted to hear about your hands on experience with them and maybe some extra info. Thanks anyone who actually wants to help me and I wish you a merry christmas! (or hanukkah, I dont judge.)
I wish I could help. Never kept them.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Patience, be firm and common sence.....I believe all animals can be tamed to a certain extent just don't expect move mountains.:D

beardeddragon111

Patience, be firm and common sence.....I believe all animals can be tamed to a certain extent just don't expect move mountains.:D
Well sure all can be tamed to a certain extent, but it matters how far that extent comes. I've never kept a Nile, but remember this this is an animal straight out of the wild. They are notorious for being defensive and many claim that no matter how hard they try, it will not tame. OP, though I've never kept a nile, I've studied monitors long enough to know you're in for a ride with this animal. Not trying to sound like a know it all because I've never kept monitors lmao.However, I have worked with some of them. Just remember they get huge, have a rediculous amount of requirements to stay healthy, and you may very easily end up with a nasty beast.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well sure all can be tamed to a certain extent, but it matters how far that extent comes. I've never kept a Nile, but remember this this is an animal straight out of the wild. They are notorious for being defensive and many claim that no matter how hard they try, it will not tame. OP, though I've never kept a nile, I've studied monitors long enough to know you're in for a ride with this animal. Not trying to sound like a know it all because I've never kept monitors lmao.However, I have worked with some of them. Just remember they get huge, have a rediculous amount of requirements to stay healthy, and you may very easily end up with a nasty beast.
"...to know you're in for a ride with this animal." About sums it up from the few friends and acquaintances that have kept them and know monitors. A concern of mine is that even if kept from obesity, they eat a lot of food. It gets worse as they grow. Would be great to know of experiences that result in tractable Niles. For what it's worth, I'd keep an open mind, but be prepared for an impressive look at-only animal.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
"Well sure all can be tamed to a certain extent, but it matters how far that extent comes. I've never kept a Nile, but remember this this is an animal straight out of the wild." ....So are lions,tigers and bears but people have trained those to do amazing things..... I didn`t say it was going to be easy,I mearly stated not to espect too much and work closely with the animal using common sence....but agree that you should keep an open mind and realize that it's probably not going to get to the petting stage.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
"Well sure all can be tamed to a certain extent, but it matters how far that extent comes. I've never kept a Nile, but remember this this is an animal straight out of the wild." ....So are lions,tigers and bears but people have trained those to do amazing things..... I didn`t say it was going to be easy,I mearly stated not to espect too much and work closely with the animal using common sence....but agree that you should keep an open mind and realize that it's probably not going to get to the petting stage.
No disagreement.

On a related note, my vivid imagination now imagines a bullwhip and a 6' Nile upright on a stool to great aplause!

beardeddragon111

I don't disagree with you, but lions tigers and bears are all mammals. Reptiles are a very different story from these because they don't experience emotion the same way. But yeah I pretty much agree with you that it can be tamed to an extent,but for some that extent may not come very far.

beardeddragon111

"...to know you're in for a ride with this animal." About sums it up from the few friends and acquaintances that have kept them and know monitors. A concern of mine is that even if kept from obesity, they eat a lot of food. It gets worse as they grow. Would be great to know of experiences that result in tractable Niles. For what it's worth, I'd keep an open mind, but be prepared for an impressive look at-only animal.
I agree with you here. Another thing to mention is the massive enclosure which may quite literally need to hold a ton of dirt.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely a massive, massive commitment and needs NOT to be underestimated as with a life span of 15+ years they need deep consideration

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rhysandfish- I hope that these comments help you making decisions.

dpjm

5 Year Member
I am currently working with a Nile monitor. They are certainly above any tegu in terms of difficulty and I would not recommend one if you are inexperienced or timid around quick, large, strong lizards.

Though I don't have a ton of time to commit to "taming" Domino, I have gotten to the point where I can safely pick him up and handle him and a few other staff members have gotten there too, so it is not impossible. The more difficult part is the actual pick up because with that long neck their head can be unpredictable to track, meaning that they can bite you from any position. But once picked up, Domino calms down pretty well.

Normally I would never recommend a Nile monitor to anyone because they are just not pets, but the situation is different when you are rescuing one. The animal has to live somewhere, so if you think you can do it, go for it.

If you have any more specific Nile monitor questions, feel free to ask.

Chris & Stitches

I know this is years old but I have two niles a male and a female. Female is 2.5 feet male is 3.5 feet so they aren’t big. I have a male and female tegu both way bigger.
but anyways I’ve been letting my niles hang out together in each other’s enclosures and I watch from outside the room with a camera so I can watch what they do without interference and I noticed the male nipped the female on the arm. He bit me before and I bled to say the least and she was not harmed at all so I know he didn’t bite her the same way. Is this normal?
he is about 2-3x her mass so I don’t leave them unsupervised in some way but my tegus never have moments like that.
My female Nile lives in a 4x4x8 and male has a walk in 6x6x7

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam