• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

no need for uvb using this supplement??

adam1120

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752427... isd this real? says its been proven.. doubt it

Dirtydmc

I wouldn't risk it. After seeing a video bobby has of a tegu with really bad mbd.

No. It's b.s. d3 doesn't work.

adam1120

im not risking it im still goin to the bulb but if it did work cant beat it and its trex a good compnay who makes a good bulb so idk:( wanna try it just dont wanna risk my animals life:(

katoeLAZARO

Maybe you can use it and also the bulb for like a couple of days and put the bulb on for a short time to see if it works but I'm sure bulb is better and he would enjoy it more.

adam1120

yea but as times change things change and people will find better and easier thigs to find a uv supplement for you reptile you now what i mean? i mean im not sayin it works but its only a matter of time tille someone come along and produces a great uvb supplement to use safe and chaper than lights

adam1120

yea but i think the whole purpose is cus alot of the careless reptile keepers dont realize uvb is a special lighe not just find a heat bulb and plug it in a watch it produce uvb and a cheaper way but kinda weird they produce a great uvb bulb ive heard and sell this maybe the wait is finally here for a great supplement i think its worth a try but impossible unless your willin to risk a animals life.

Neeko

I thought uvb isn't even light per say. It mimics radiation given off by the sun. The informationon how much D3 with calcium isn't there. It always be changing till your reptile was full grown. Even there senior dogs, cats, people, etc still need different amounts. You cam test any assortment of uvb calcium d3. Though you'd need some way of testing bone density, calcium absorbtion, etc. Is do it but it require animal testing a good amount of cash and maybe only information is good for Tegus and not another reptile. If data is put there please let me know.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As of last report, none of the "D3 supplements" work well enough to replace UVB...

There is a strong chance that some day they will discover a supplement that can replace UVB. When they do it will become very popular very quick. Please do not turn your Tegu into a guinie pig.

Neeko

I'll just hang a canister of radioactive waste above my enclosures and wear a lead suite inside my room, good idea right!

katoeLAZARO

Yeah like snakes hardly need uvb light because the calcium in the mice but of course light is in important substance .

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
katoeLAZARO said:
Yeah like snakes hardly need uvb light because the calcium in the mice but of course light is in important substance .

UVB doesn't supply calcium...

UVB energizes a chemical reaction in the skin and that chemical reaction produces Vitamin D... Vitamin D is utilized by the body for many functions including but not limited to metabolizing Calcium...

So UVB is critical for the proper utilization of Calcium, but UVB is not the source of that calcium...

So while it is true most snakes do not require UVB, this is not because of the calcium in the mice... It is becaues they have evolved along a different path...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tildaworkneh