• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

WaterRaven

Hey guys :)

I wrote a post a little while ago wondering if my black and white Argentine tegu, Tabucca, was going through some kind of a teenage phase, since then I am happy to report she's really turned around. She goes easily into the bath now and doesn't flail and death roll and while she does tend to shoulder ride on her way there, she's not panicking as I lower her.

After her bath she's very easy to hold, so here's where I am looking for opinions/advice: while I hold her on the way to the living room or to be fed, she allows me to pet her but once she's on the ground, if I attempt to pet her she shakes her head and even gurgles her disapproval sometimes. I have tried petting her neck area and under the jowls (this she REALLY disliked).

I've seen many pictures and videos of tegus enjoying being pet. I've tried small temporary pets here and there and stopped before the point of irritation but I'm wondering if I should persist with it since she doesn't like it. When she gets out, she only comes to me to burrow into my legs if she wants to be picked up and taken somewhere more interesting. So should I keep up with the pets while I hold her and the small pets while she's out or is this going to stress her and damage our trust?

She's got a big area to roam and is more interested in roaming than my husband and I. I used to put her on the couch but she would burrow between the cushions and nap--more recently she actually tore into the lining of my couch and got inside of it. I need to patch that before I let her back on but that'll be an option once I figure out some kind of tegu proofing for that (if you have advice for that, I am all ears as well!)

Thank you so much for reading :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I look forard to other keepers' experiences, but I would let her be. I have four. Two love jowl scratching, one seems mildly irritated, the fourth is doesn't. They're tame and friendly to varying degrees, so I accept their boundaries.

Zyn

I just let sev do as he wishes, don’t expect dog like companionship so when he does want attention I give it to him. Though I’m starting to think he’s a she

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just let sev do as he wishes, don’t expect dog like companionship so when he does want attention I give it to him. Though I’m starting to think he’s a she
Why?

Zyn

Head shape and lack of jowl growth could still be wrong though > < lol though a year and 3 months may be a bit young to make that call? When did you see your males jowls start to devlop Walter

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WC and young adult when I got them, so probably near 2 yrs. old. Both Oscar and now Jingles were at the 3 ft. mark when jowls appeared and quickly developed.

Zyn

DE6A9F32-C41F-474E-897C-9BC1B5AB2188.jpeg
935F583E-0E36-4790-B905-C67B3D91D252.jpeg
79D479FC-DE1C-452F-80CA-8552DC05F634.jpeg
Hey sorry to hyjack the thread. ok Walter here are some preshed pics of Sevs head and what not. Just curious what you think.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Colombians are the same .....I hope....Haha
Still have a pronoment difference but no where near as big as I've seen on b&w and Reds

WaterRaven

@Walter1 I'm going to let her be when she roams but I realized today that the best time to pet her would be while she's eating for a positive association. I tong feed her so I gave her something to eat and a light pet while she was chewing. She didn't even seem to notice. I skipped every other time and she was totally fine. I won't pet her every time but I wanted to encourage a positive association.

I think I'll continue on with the experiment and see what happens.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A good approach, Waterraven. Let me add that you should talk to her. More positive association.

WaterRaven

Just thought I'd update this. She's doing well with the petting while eating. I haven't moved to petting outside of eating, just keeping it positive with the food. I'll update with any changes if anyone's interested :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just thought I'd update this. She's doing well with the petting while eating. I haven't moved to petting outside of eating, just keeping it positive with the food. I'll update with any changes if anyone's interested :)
Good. Yes, interested in updates.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam