• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Nocturnal tegu?

Nickali21

I'm just curious if anyone else has a tegu that does this..

It's the middle of April almost and our blue tegu is almost a year old. He has started to slowly come out of brumation but not fully out yet. He never comes out during the day though. He will come out late in the evening or at night while we are sleeping. Not sure if there is a specific reason behind this behavior or if it is common for this to happen? Just want to make sure it's not something in his environment, IE temps, humidity levels or lighting cycles.
The ambient temps are about 73°-75°degrees with a basking spot about 115°. The humidity never drops below 60% and I keep the cage sprayed down 1 to 2 times per day. The lights are on a 12hr cycle with a 3ft UVB/ UVA light. After the the lights shut off for the day it switches to a red basking light that isn't as hot as the day basking light to give him the feel of temps dropping at night. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

It's all about the Heat. Low 70s will put a Tegu into brumation he needs to be in the mid 80s with a hotspot. You adjust the Heat you adjust the schedule. It's middle April and my taegeuk awake every day around 4 p.m.. this is my choice! When he comes out he takes a couple relaxing hours to warm up. Then I open his cage door and allow him to exit the cage into his playpen. He poos in the corner on his rug then starts looking for food. This is when I give him his main meal. Then as he moves around I toss a mealworm or cup of crickets in there and now he's up and ready to play for a couple hours. At 7:30 since he's out in the pain I've allowed the temperature in his habitat to drop to the low 80s as opposed to 86. At 7:30 I handle him a little bit and I set him in his habitat making sure that is substrate is moist and his hide is warm. Now due to the lower temperature I lower the lights and he knows it's time to go in his hide and so he does. That's when I hide a few eggooz in his substrate in case he gets back up he can dig up the eggooz and enjoy them. But every morning the eggooz are gone, lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced