• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Not eating, prolapses, and more :-(

juliacu

5 Year Member
Hello!

I just got a male red tegu named Cinnabun, he’s around 6 months old, though he’s quite small for his size. When i first got him he was eating great — crickets, pinkies, and chicken heart. but one day he refused food. I realize now i shouldn’t have forced the issue, but i tried to instead give him some raw egg yolk, which he ate.

A few minutes later he began to regurgitate the egg and choked on it, i had to do an improv-Heimlich manoeuvre on him and rushed him to the vet immediately. He was constipated so we gave him antiacids and antibiotics, and i was instructed by the breeder to not give food.

The next day, he got a prolapse. I brought him to the vet and two days later he got another one. I’ve moved him to an enclosure that better fulfils the heat requirements (I was going to bask him in the sunlight but i live in the Philippines, and it’s rainy season. I had to get him a UV light).

I know the past few days have been stressful and now i’ve had to move him to yet another new environment, but he hasn’t taken food in 6 days
:-( should i try again with egg yolk?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Egg yolk is fine for stimulating diet. Doubtlessly stressed by being moved around but constipation and prolapse is a bad combination. Add fish oil to food for easier passage among other benefits.

juliacu

5 Year Member
Thank you! Luckily he is no longer constipated and hasn't gotten a prolapse in several days, so I think the worst has passed. I tried egg but he wasn't interested, so I'll try again tomorrow. :)

Egg yolk is fine for stimulating diet. Doubtlessly stressed by being moved around but constipation and prolapse is a bad combination. Add fish oil to food for easier passage among other benefits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980