• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Outside tegu taming

Leezard

5 Year Member
Hello hello, I have been trying to increase my 1 year old B&W tegus time outside but he is still very afraid. He does better when he's in his warm pouch that smells like home, but once placed on the grass he becomes afraid and very defensive when you move towards him. I grab him anyways because he knows I'm the authorative figure but sometimes he Knicks me good with his teeth. I've tried so many different techniques of laying down on his level or starting him off in my lap on the ground and nothing seems to comfort him. I need him to be getting real sun UVB so any tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Merlot

How do you pick him up? My tegu is about 1yr 2months and about 27-28”. The only time she got aggressive was I was walking her and we found some awesome Really awesome looking plants and bushes she just had to get in and play with, Hell I almost wanted to too. And when I was done letting her play she knew I was coming to get her and she just opened her mouth WIDE open for the first time I ever saw like how’s bearded dragons often do to let me know she wasn’t done playing. I just let her continue a little bit and pulled her back with the leash a little which she didn’t really like at first because she really wanted that plant lol. When I get close to them I just play in a area non chalantly next to them to let them know I’m not messing with them. Then I make a fist and just rest it on the ground next to her for her to smell and lick, and comfy. And if they do bite which I never have been, it would be an attempt on a knuckle. Then I slowly move my fist closer closer and pet the sides of her fat belly, see how comfy she is and rub on the side of jaws we’re the jowles would be on a male. And she gets cozy, and the make sure NOT to grab your Gu from the top of there body. Put your whole hand and palm under her/him and gently lift it up or let them crawl to after you put your hand UNDER them. Maybe gently secure their tail with your other hand. They are not like bearded dragons where they don’t mind just being grabbed with your fingers from top. Tegu will take it as a threat.

Last edited:

Leezard

5 Year Member
How do you pick him up? My tegu is about 1yr 2months and about 27-28”. The only time she got aggressive was I was walking her and we found some awesome Really plants and bushes she just had to get in and play with. And when I was done letting her play she knew I was coming to get her and she just opened her mouth WIDE open for the first time I ever saw like how’s bearded dragons often do to let me know she wasn’t done playing. I just let her continue a little bit and pulled her back with the leash a little which she didn’t really like at first because she really wanted that plant lol. When I get close to them I just play in a area non chalantly next to them to let them know I’m not messing with them. Then I make a fist and just rest it on the ground next to her for her to smell and lick, and comfy. And if they do bite which I never have been, it would be an attempt on a knuckle. Then I slowly move my fist closer closer and pet the sides of her fat belly, see how comfy she is and rub on the side of jaws we’re the jowles would be on a male. And she gets cozy, and the make sure NOT to grab your Gu from the top of there body. Put your whole hand and palm under her/him and gently lift it up or let them crawl to after you put your hand UNDER them. Maybe gently secure their tail with your other hand. They are not like bearded dragons where they don’t mind just being grabbed with your fingers from top. Tegu will take it as a threat.
Thanks for the reply!! I always try to pick him up from the bottom whenever handling him but he gets defensive the second he touches the ground. If he's on my lap and I'm rubbing his head he's in heaven but the second he starts to explore on the grass and I lay down with him in a very non hostile position he'll remain close if I don't move. But the second I move to watch where he's going he sees me and dashes. No matter how slowly I move or how calm my voice is everything new I try ends up the same: angry mouth open tegu doing death rolls to get out of my arms. And the second he realizes he's been picked up by me he'll calm down. Also I have tried numerous kinds of leashes on him and he squirms out of it every time because of how freaked out he gets on the ground.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1 is still a very young age in an annimal that can live 15-20 years.... remember you are for forcing your juvenille gu out of its comfort zone / territory so it's bound to be freaked and on high alert......
1) you can either perservere in hope to calm him over time..
2) take outside in a pet carrier so your gu can familiarise its self with the surroundings without risk of escape or harm..
3) Stop and just give a bit more time to grow and become more comfortabe with you and exploring..

Radical Reptiles

Great advice in the above posts.
Does your Gu act the same when you hold him outside?
I havent experienced mouth gaping or biting from Yoshi myself, but have had to ride out the storm a couple of times.
First being the very first time I let him down outside, although he had been outside w me many times before he seemed to act more like a wild Gu rather than the one that normally likes to nuzzle my neck. At first he was just happy to explore while i interacted and supervised him, like i mentioned he had been outside many time before but he suddenly acted like it was the first time seeing me in UV.
And by riding out the storm i mean running back into the house w him doing death rolls and clawing the hell out of me.
Second time he had been out for a while and already covered much ground in my yard w out incident when suddenly he went nuts, i was pretty far from the house and thought i could possibly lose control of him.
I figured he may of gotten a whiff of a fox ( i have seen them in my yard before) that was very scary.
I know the weather is changing in your area now but have you considered an outdoor enclosure for the summer months?

Leezard

5 Year Member
On my shoulder or in my lap he's a happy cuddly Gu! It's only on the ground, but you're right he is still plenty young I'm sure he'll grow accustomed. And yes we want to build an outdoor enclosure as soon as we have a yard, we are currently in an apartment while I finish my last year of college

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam