1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Pale skin

Discussion in 'Black and White Tegu Discussion' started by Moody, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Moody

Moody Member

Ok so I have had my B&W tegu for over a year now.. Grown from 22 inches to nearly 40. He is shedding and looks very pale. Now I know they have a tendency to get pale but he has been like this since his last shed. I have changed nothing in his environment and I actually had someone ask me if he was a high white. Now he was wild bred so who knows? But it' g me a little concerned... Thanks 20180122_212819.jpg 20180122_211934.jpg
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Not to worry, depending on their genetic make-up, adult final color pattern may change regardless of source. For example, some firebellies get redder as they mature. At this size/age, all that might change is shading. Your tegu will be a sharply-contrasting adult.
    Moody likes this.
  3. dpjm

dpjm Active Member 5 Year Member

Yeah, that looks totally fine. I have never really heard of a lizard having pathologic pale skin, at least it doesn't seem to be a common thing. It's just a color change related to aging. Another common color change is a loss of a greenish tinge.
    Moody likes this.
  4. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Looks like a beautiful high white to me
    Moody and Walter1 like this.
  5. Moody

Moody Member

Who knows? He was wild caught in the Everglades by Rodney Irwin at Tegus only. He could have some high white in him, he had the firebelly when I first got him but that faded quickly.. Now hes more a peach belly lol. Someone asked me if he was a high white and he had the traditional yellow undertone and I didn't notice till someone asked and I started going through pics he has gotten whiter and whiter.... I dont care if he is barney purple i love him just the same it just worried me something could be wrong. Thanks!
  6. onnie0047

onnie0047 Member

Barney purple, now that would be cool.
    Moody likes this.
  7. Guman

Guman Member

Well if you get barney purple I want hot pink!
    onnie0047 and Moody like this.