• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Patience is a virtue...but advice is golden :-) new tegu

summbear48

Hey all! Was going to post this on my "introduction" page but thought I would benefit more from lots of people perusing in the general section.
I purchased a scratch and dent tegu from Rod Irwin. Shipping didnt go as planned and USPS didnt make the 24 hour priority express guaranteed time so "Buddy" sat in his shipping box for almost 3 days. Rod said he was approaching brumation so was probably just sleeping anyhow.
Unpacked him and after he warmed up he was pretty active. Decided to give him some space as his clock was probably way off coming from florida to california. IF he was out roaming his tank, then I would be in there with it open allowing him to walk out if he wanted. He is pretty chill so far.
Hasnt eaten much but HAS eaten. Hasnt popped, even after some warm soaks.
Hiding/sleeping most of the time lately, which is fine with me.
humidity around 70%, basking about 95, cool side high 70s, low 80s'. It naturally gets a little colder/warmer with the seasons in the room he is in so who knows if that will continue his internal clock to brumate if thats his thing at the moment.

So here is the rub.
I REALLY want to bond but trying to be patient. REALLY want him to brumate if that is what he is naturally doing. So if he is out, I will visit, if he is hiding I wont take him out.
Should I keep offering food on a daily basis or scale him back in case he continues brumation?
He is about 15-18 inches (with missing a bit of tail, but not much) and looks to be healthy. I will post pictures.
Besides patience :) I would love some advice. Slightly worried about the timing/shipping and brumation but you all may have had similar experiences.
Thanks All!

Oh, Someone mentioned getting a fecal sample, I have a great local herp vet, but should I bother at this point if he seems to be acting "normal"?

summbear48

It seems there is a lot of (past?) beef (at least in the reading of many other threads) with Irwin, but that aside, please help me offer a fantastic home to my boy. You all are fantastic so wont disappoint! Just wanted to throw that disclaimer out there...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You’re doing fine. I agree with Zyn on basking temps. Make sure hide on other end is in mis-upper 70s for relief. Add shirt you just wore in it. When lights cut off at night, so can basking light. Offer a lttle food every few days. Brumation or not, tegus take 2-3 weeks to adjust to new suroundings.

All four of my tegus cone from Rodney. No complaints here!

summbear48

B868A68C-D318-41BE-BBD1-942E3B1FCFD0.jpeg
0AFBCA94-D254-4264-B3DC-F7E0439236D1.jpeg
83E44FE6-4C29-466C-BC2E-E290E565F64A.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
And pretty tame already I know Rodney works pretty hands on with his rescues :)

You are correct. I know that from firsthand experience with Rodney.

The ones he catches are beautiful. I’ve posted pics of mine somewhere here. I’m looking forward to seeing pics of yours next fall.

Zyn

I'd say maybe a year and half not totally sure on this because mines only about 5 months and has been down for the winter for the last month so his growing has stopped for now. But based on what I've seen and ready I'd say little over a year.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Understanding that genetics, diet, length of brumation all affect growth, my guess is just under to just over one year of age. Not more than that.

summbear48

Buddy, I believe, started brumating, and has not come out of his hide for about 2 weeks. Today he strolls out and starts basking.
1. I assume this is just normal and that he may just come out a few times during brumation?
2. should I offer any food?
3. Any other advice?

Thank you!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Buddy, I believe, started brumating, and has not come out of his hide for about 2 weeks. Today he strolls out and starts basking.
1. I assume this is just normal and that he may just come out a few times during brumation?
2. should I offer any food?
3. Any other advice?

Thank you!
If basking area is hot enough for him to digest with a very cool hide on the other side, you can offer food sometimes. Otherwise, lower basking temp to 85 or so and let him sleep. He'll come out some but not much.

Moody

My tegu I got from Rodney in April of last year. Take an old t-shirt sleep in it for 2 nights then put it where he sleeps.. He will associate your smell with safety. I heard all this hoopla you have to feed them every day when they are juveniles blah... They like what the like. Mine refuses to eat daily I put the food in there he will literally turn his head up and go bury himself. Then the food smells and is bad and he won't eat it either so then I have to make more. I feed him every other day and that is way he likes it. They are like people they have their own little quirks and prefereces. HE wont eat uncooked eggs they have to be soft boiled with the shell still on. I make his food every to the Sunday night. I cruise through the deli at the grocery and find meats that are about to go bad pork, salmon, chicken, turkey, livers, then I get organic frozen kale, 2 bags of tropical medley fruit, eggs, last week I found blueberries on sale he liked those, put the raw meat in my ninja chopper that is just for his food.. Sprinkle with vitamins Mix it all up and store it in the fridge in a contaner.. Sometimes when i make too much and I am feeling froggy i will put it in individual zip lock bags and freeze.. When it is feeding day I take the bag out of the freezer and soak in hot water like you do a frozen rat for a snake. Again you will have to experiment and see what he or she prefers.. He has grown from 22 inches when I got him to nearly 40, and he refuses brumation, I think he' is too nosy and might miss something. Lol. Good luck.. As far as rodney goes I would never get a tegu from anyone else.. Ever... Peiple are intimidated cause he knows his stuff.. And he can feed then all the beef and avacadoes he wants they are basically in the wild at his place in their natural habitat.. Here I am in KY trying to reproduce the Florida everglades in my guest bedroom.. Bulbs are great and they do they job but it ain't the sun. If he was doing something wrong how in the world is he so successful at it? Hmmmm

Attachments

• 20180122_211934.jpg
    20180122_211934.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180122_212819.jpg
    20180122_212819.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20170424_160439.jpg
    20170424_160439.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

summbear48

My tegu I got from Rodney in April of last year. Take an old t-shirt sleep in it for 2 nights then put it where he sleeps.. He will associate your smell with safety. I heard all this hoopla you have to feed them every day when they are juveniles blah... They like what the like. Mine refuses to eat daily I put the food in there he will literally turn his head up and go bury himself. Then the food smells and is bad and he won't eat it either so then I have to make more. I feed him every other day and that is way he likes it. They are like people they have their own little quirks and prefereces. HE wont eat uncooked eggs they have to be soft boiled with the shell still on. I make his food every to the Sunday night. I cruise through the deli at the grocery and find meats that are about to go bad pork, salmon, chicken, turkey, livers, then I get organic frozen kale, 2 bags of tropical medley fruit, eggs, last week I found blueberries on sale he liked those, put the raw meat in my ninja chopper that is just for his food.. Sprinkle with vitamins Mix it all up and store it in the fridge in a contaner.. Sometimes when i make too much and I am feeling froggy i will put it in individual zip lock bags and freeze.. When it is feeding day I take the bag out of the freezer and soak in hot water like you do a frozen rat for a snake. Again you will have to experiment and see what he or she prefers.. He has grown from 22 inches when I got him to nearly 40, and he refuses brumation, I think he' is too nosy and might miss something. Lol. Good luck.. As far as rodney goes I would never get a tegu from anyone else.. Ever... Peiple are intimidated cause he knows his stuff.. And he can feed then all the beef and avacadoes he wants they are basically in the wild at his place in their natural habitat.. Here I am in KY trying to reproduce the Florida everglades in my guest bedroom.. Bulbs are great and they do they job but it ain't the sun. If he was doing something wrong how in the world is he so successful at it? Hmmmm
so far "buddy" has been awesome. he has been brumating for 2 months so hopefully he will get up here soon, missing him!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980