• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Periwinkle Snails

G

I was looking for a place that supplies snails and I found one but it's kind of far away. Then I found a grocery store that sells live bags of periwinkle snails.

Anyone ever fed "winkles"? lol

periwinkleSnailB0510eO.jpg

G

I have dont know about feeding snails to your tegu. I know that Caimen lizards, which are an aquatic version of the tegu, eat snails. How ever, I also have read that these Caimens dont do well in captivity because the snails we get here in the US often carry parasites. I'm not telling you not to feed these to your tegu, but its just something to look into.
Let me know what you find out

G

These snails are meant for human consumption so I don't believe they'd be carrying parasites. Plus I was just planning on freezing them because it'd be a pain to keep huge bag of live snails and I was only going to feed them as a part of a varied diet.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My Cailman Lizard just chowed down on some Periwinkles yesturday. I gave some the the tegus and they seemed to like them as well. Bosco right now will eat anything he just came out of hibernation so he is hungery, as for Rio he is pretty full but the new food made him interested and he ate a few. Now the snails i have is just the meat so no litte chance of parisites becuase it is for human consumtion. There are alot of places that raise snails for escargoe and what not that are a safe bet for lizard and human consumtion. The live snails at pet and fish stores might not be the saftest bet, i am waiting till my little guy is bigger and can handle any possible parisites.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCGRUMPY