• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Picky diet

Jordyn

hello everyone! I’m looking for some advice on my tegu, she seems to only want to eat rats and I know she needs a healthy diverse diet so I was wondering what are some good things to try to feed her? I’ve tried turkey and fruit but she won’t eat it she just pushes her bedding over it and won’t eat unless it’s a rat.. any suggestions on how to get her to eat fruit and other meats?

My tegu will not eat vegetables and fruit except bananas I feed him primal organic raw dog food chicken, turkey, duck or rabbit it has organic vegetables and organ meats I add organic chicken hearts and feet and then sprinkle micro greens and sprouts on top so he has to eat some vegetables he loves it and then a couple times a week I give him frozen mice he gets so excited over the mice I know if I let him that would be all he would eat none of it is cheap

Tizzay89

Need age of tegu to better help with diet.

Young tegus requires high protien
Older tegus or adults require less protein and more fruits n vegs.

Now either way they need more than just protien to grow healthy. Fats vitamins faty acids etc. You can sup most of this with a good vita dust but nothing beats the fresh thing :p

You can try to mix the things it doesnt like with the thing it loves. Mine loves fresh Alaskan salmon. Or crickets. So I will mash fruit n Vegs with these items and it eats it just fine.

Thank you for that information is there any fruits that are good for them though he would not eat them and do you know what problems bananas cause tegus

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bananas have a high potassium to calcium ratio. The tegu needs calcium. So, I'll say a small piece as a treat from time to time only. Fruit more common in adult diet but even there not very much. Others can chime in with individual lizard preferences. Mine enjoy ripe strawberries. So do I, come to think of it. Apart from that, mine get f/t med. mice, organ meat, and some high quality dog food dusted with calcium and often with fish oil added.

Thanks again he ate a banana about once a week but I will cut that out I put blueberries since they are low in sugar for a fruit on his food regularly but he does not eat it as far as I can see it looks like the rest of his diet is similar to what you feed

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks again he ate a banana about once a week but I will cut that out I put blueberries since they are low in sugar for a fruit on his food regularly but he does not eat it as far as I can see it looks like the rest of his diet is similar to what you feed
Good how you're being creative. I will keep blueberries in mind for my own.

Girros_the_tegu

Hi,

I am having a similar issue, but with a 3 week old tegu and dubia roaches. He refuses to eat anything but dubias and in my area they are $1.00ea at the local pet stores. I recently started a colony, but its going to be a few months before it can keep up with his hunger.

So far I have tried superworms, mealworms, chicken gizzards, ground turkey, soft boiled egg, smelt, and wet cat food. Of these, he only ate some of the cat food.

He is very active, and just finished his first shed. I continue to offer different foods, and I guess he will eventually get hungry enough to eat something other than dubias.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny