• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Picky tegu

Kimchi.Eli

So I have a red tegu he is about 9 months now I have had him for about 3 months now.. everything is great with him so far I've been just having a hard time with feeding him he is beyond picky.

I have tried everything from fish meats eggs fruits veggies everything I offer him a varied diet he gets something new every day.

Recently he has been on a hunger strike the only thing he will touch is ground turkey.. yes this is good for him but this is literally the only thing he will eat. I tried not giving him any at all only offering him different foods 5 days passed he would not touch anything until I offered him ground turkey again and he devoured it -.- any tips for training him on Eating other foods ? I don't want him to get sick from not eating but idk what else to do this is literally the only thing he wants to eat anyone else have this happen ?

Teguixin.22

Some are just naturally picky. My tegu won't touch mealworms or superworms, but will eat earthworms and just about everything else. Some of them just have preferences lol

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mix other things in with the ground turkey..... Start with a massive turkey content and slowly reduce over time.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
So I have a red tegu he is about 9 months now I have had him for about 3 months now.. everything is great with him so far I've been just having a hard time with feeding him he is beyond picky.

I have tried everything from fish meats eggs fruits veggies everything I offer him a varied diet he gets something new every day.

Recently he has been on a hunger strike the only thing he will touch is ground turkey.. yes this is good for him but this is literally the only thing he will eat. I tried not giving him any at all only offering him different foods 5 days passed he would not touch anything until I offered him ground turkey again and he devoured it -.- any tips for training him on Eating other foods ? I don't want him to get sick from not eating but idk what else to do this is literally the only thing he wants to eat anyone else have this happen ?

Skully was the same at first (ground turkey only) - but I feed every other day, and she loves a whole raw egg that I break into a small dish. She laps it up with her tongue. (I do this about 3 times a week) After she accepted the egg, she started eating other meats. She is pretty picky, but now eats banana and broccoli too. That feels like a huge success and took about 3-4 months. Lots of trial and error with Tegus!

Last edited:

mia exotic

Skully was the same at first (ground turkey only) - but I feed every other day, and she loves a whole raw egg that I break into a small dish. She laps it up with her tongue. (I do this about 3 times a week) After she accepted the egg, she started eating other meats. She is pretty picky, but now eats banana and broccoli too. That feels like a huge success and took about 3-4 months. Lots of trial and error with Tegus!

Indeed, most tegus are picky & so is my Teddy ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced