• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pictures of the Tshirt method, and my girl's special talent

Meg90

5 Year Member
I thought I would include some pictures I have taken in the five days of having my Gu. I had a t-shirt in there from day one, I've swapped it out once, so that the scent stays fresh, but it seems to do the trick. She really enjoys sleeping on it. She's actually nice and relaxed, stretched out on it right now.

These are in order from oldest to newest

laterinthedaytegu09-23-09027.jpg

laterinthedaytegu09-23-09045.jpg

laterinthedaytegu09-23-09042.jpg

Tegudaytwo009.jpg

And here is her talent. I'm using an exo terra as an enclosure, and if anyone has experience with them, they come with a polyurethane background that looks like rocks. Well, my girl LOVES to climb it. She's ripped out plants that were poked into it, and must do it a couple times a day at least. I didn't know they liked to climb. Here are some pics:

This is from the first day home (color is off)
laterinthedaytegu09-23-09040.jpg

(note the tegu poo in the water---she eliminates in there every morning)
laterinthedaytegu09-23-09041.jpg

These are from this afternoon. (is it just me, or does she look bigger! :-D )
TeguDaythree018.jpg

TeguDaythree014.jpg

TeguDaythree010.jpg

At least she's getting some exercise, both mentally and physically.

Ahh--and she must be atleast a PINCH bigger. Found some pieces of shed in her enclosure about 5 mins ago.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
those are cute pics! i would just make sure that she wont get burned being that close to the lights.
robert

Herplings

5 Year Member
That cage seems pretty tall, she may be climbing because she is not getting the proper hot-side and basking-side temps.
It is hard for bulbs to get into the 110-112 range in cages that tall. I only say that because she is climbing the hot side. Might be something to look at.

She looks good. I don't although see an inch of growth in one week. But, I cant see well with out my glasses. :bud

Meg90

5 Year Member
If you notice, she climbs the background on both sides.

I also checked the temp of the screen after I caught her up there the first time. The bulb does not touch the screen directly, so its not hot at all, just warm to the touch....Last thing I wanted was to burn my baby.

My therm is reading 102 on the substrate, around 107 on top of the log.

She never stays up there, just like, goes up, scales the background, then comes back down.

She must have done some growing--dunno about an inch lol. I meant more like, pinch of sugar lol. I can see where that could have been taken as a typo though!

But I found shed tonight, so I'm excited!

Meg90

5 Year Member
I got it off craigslist, for 210$ it retails at $269.99

Just measured the distance between the substrate and the lights, its 15 inches. The distance between the top of the log and the lights, is 11 inches.

Its not a horrible distance, but I'd like it to be less. Imma throw another handful or two of substrate in there tomorrow, so its more like 13 inches from the substrate and about 9 from the top of the log.

The cage itself is 24 inches tall, so you can see how much substrate she has in there for burrowing.

Herplings

5 Year Member
Haha. Yeah they shed all the time. Its fun to see that for me. I am so used to only seeing shed with my snakes every so many weeks. My monitors and Tegus shed so much its silly. Pretty much all the time I guess.

I'm sure she is bigger, pics don't do stuff much justice.

She will grow I would not be to stressed out about it, it is going to happen. I like the growing process myself. Once its done, for the most part it is over. So, I enjoy it while it lasts.

Good luck, your temps seem good, I guess the larger she gets the less she will feel the need to climb a lot. I see this in neonate snakes all the time.

Meg90

5 Year Member
I need to name her---I was hoping all these personality traits, the climbing etc would kinda do it for me lol (I've seen the climbing with my bps when they were younger too) I'm guessing it will die down with age as well.

We spend lots of time together every day. She's getting much bolder in the tub with me, and could care less if I'm by the cage or not. (which is great for pictures!)

I found a perfect eye shed (like the top and bottom lid piece) tonight it looked like yesterdays makeup! I laughed a bit.

Meg90

5 Year Member
Yup those are mine....I want a better camcorder. I'm trying to hold out til black friday, but I might crack before then, because she's so fun to photograph (I have like 6 more videos of her, but I hate the quality)

As you saw from the first video, she was very sweet out of the bag

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thank you.That's what I thought and I typed it in but it didn't work.When I looked at your name there was just one g not two.I'm going to try it again in a bit.

Meg90

5 Year Member
LOL I just sound like such a dork in those vids, I was gonna kinda keep em on the lowdown. I mean, I babytalked her right out of the bag! haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced