• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pictures!!!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hate taking pics almost as much as I hate downloading them, saving them, then uploading them... But after a lot of poking and proding I took a few... so here ya go...

'08 male Varnyard Black & White Argentinean Tegu @ 50" long @ 10lbs -

Waking up...
IMG_0173.jpg

Morning bath...
IMG_0180.jpg

Getting ready for work...
IMG_0181.jpg

Kisses goodbye...
IMG_0074.jpg

Afternoon nap...
IMG_0182.jpg

Cleaning house...
IMG_0068.jpg

And finally getting back to bed...
IMG_0092.jpg

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Your tegu looks amazing,he must of worked hard today and that nap in the couch was a much needed one indeed lol. I haven't really seen your enclosure but from the two pic's above it's in your enclosure looks pretty cool.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Without Flash -
IMG_0024.jpg

With Flash -
IMG_0023.jpg

Sticker in top left corner of window -
IMG_0059.jpg

It's 8' x 3' @ 3.5' tall... reinforced to hold up to an 8' x 2.5' @ 2' tall (300 gal) aquarium (currently only a 6'x1.5'@1.75' 125 gal)...

In the summer time he lives on a 6' x 12' outdoor deck/balcony...

Despite the hard day photojournaled above, he lives a fairly pampered life....

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Your enclosure looks awesome Toby,one lucky gu you got!

lol ,where did you get the sticker,you made it your self? I'm willing to buy one from you if so.

I want my enclosure to be similar to yours,i want to make a 10x3 next year but i will most likely end up buying a 8ft Boamaster cage,i hate building.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I bought the 'Huge Tegu' sticker at a reptile show (Repticon) that passed through town... I have no idea who the vender was...

I really enjoy both building and designing structures. The finished work isn't fun for me, but that's what it took to be able to keep it as well as my girl in the main part of the house. So I pushed myself.

With the exception of the added piece of wood that I've still yet to stain, I am really happy with how it turned out :p

Draco D Tegu

LOL I have that SAME couch and Gator tries to do the same thing LOL soooo comfy and easy to hide in I guess. I never let him get as far as your guy tho, I'm afraid he'll get stuck.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks!

I didn't track costs but here's a rough estimate...
4 sheets of plywood... $120
12 or so 8' 2x4s... $35
4 or so 2x6s... $20
3 8' 1"x3"s... $50 (frame for windows/doors)
2 Gal Drylok... $40
1 Gal stain... $25 (?)
Polyurethane... $25 (?)
2 panes 1/4" tempered Glass... $120 (I got a great deal but this is what I guess it 'should' cost)
Hinges, locks, screws, glue, etc... $65

Rough Estimate Total... $500...

Keep in mind I built mine strong enough to hold a very large aquarium. The frame work could be cut in half which would cut costs a little but, but more importantly it would make the finished product weigh less. This thing was a monster to move up the stairs...

My father built a wood shop onto the back of his garage when he retired, which is where we built it. I couldn't have done the fine detail and stain work without his help. He may be old but he sure is handy ;)

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thomasjg23 said:
I cant get over how small he makes that tub look.

lol...

His length is accurately represented in the tub pic... although he looks fatter in that pic than he actually is.

He lost a good bit of weight over the winter and thus has 'loose skin'. Which floats to make him look more filled out in that pic. I do expect him to be as big as he looks in that pic by end of summer.

I weighed him a lot last year and at most he weighed 12 lbs... though 10 lbs is a more common weight for him... he's probably at about 9 now though as he hasn't regulated a springtime eating schedule yet this year...

I suspect he is "full grown" regarding length and general girth though his Jowls are continuing to fill out. I'm amazed at how thick the base of his tail was at the end of last summer. it was as thick as my wrist!

PS - he will be 3 yrs old this summer...

Bwindi

What's it like having the adult version of your former little dinosaur?

Do they keep a consistent demeanor? Does there tend to be more dimensions to their "personality" as they grow older?
I am just so curious and excited. My gu' is going through a growth spirt now and these questions keep running through my mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980