• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pile of mouses!

Epona142

5 Year Member
I can't help but brag about my mouse breeding success, especially since this is the first colony I've done well with. I'm more of a rat person, I'll admit! But here ya go, some cute mouse babies aka Tegu Snacks.

8709876.jpg

687648.jpg

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Haha nice pics. My lizards are cuter than any mouse. :lol:

I used to breed them......up until I realized how bad they stank. The herps ate well that day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dorton

5 Year Member
Every one of my reptiles eats F/T only! minus the geckos.
Too many people have chewed up snakes, even though pics and horror storys are all over the net, seems every day you hear about another victim.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our Brazilian Rainbow Boa still eats live but she eats hoppers. She will eat F/T sometimes after starting with a live one.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I rasied mice for a long time, I now buy all of mine, I can buy them cheaper than I can raise them.

G

Are mouses different than mices? A subspecies of the mouse or mice? Hmm all this breeding is tricky stuff. LOL.

Epona142

5 Year Member
I do not ever remember saying I feed my tegu live. Nor do I EVER take my eyes off of a live rodent when feeding one of my ball pythons who will not take pre-killed food. I have never once had an incident in all my years of herp keeping, and I will do everything in my power to continue this.

All these babies are now in the freezer as well. I do find that mice stink something terrible, though some small steps, such as vanilla extract and tons of cleaning can remedy this. I live over an hour from the nearest petco (ew), and we have no small mom and pop stores within three hours of here. (Heck, I live half an hour from TOWN.) Therefor I breed both rats and mice for my reptiles.

I like knowing where my food comes from, and where my reptile's food comes from! I know for a fact all my rodents lived happy healthy lives before making my snake happy and healthy! :wink:

Epona142

5 Year Member
I sure could, and have considered it, and may sometime in the future, but I enjoy breeding rodents, (Yes, I know I'm odd!) and have done it for many years. I even used to breed show rats, and didn't do half bad with one line. Yup, they stink, and yup they're alot of work, but I enjoy it and they're in a separate room! LOL. :D

Epona142

5 Year Member
Right now I have my mouse colony set up in a 20g long aquarium, one male to seven females; I've found that's been the ratio that's worked best so far.

Vanilla extract does help a bit, I also scoop the corners of the tank in the middle of the week, between cleanings, as this is where they urinate and defecate the most, and can become quite foul very fast! I scoop all shavings once a week and replace, and every two weeks, I take it out for a scrub and dry. So far this seems to keep the smell to a minimum.

I wrote a Rodent breeding and keeping 101 for this forum, but if you have any other questions, never hesitate to ask! :D

Lovestegus

5 Year Member
Hey I too breed mice for feed and enjoyment and I was wondering if you know what color your mice were to come out with those broken marked mice (the spotted)? I've been told it takes two broken marked mice to make such babies but I'm not even sure if that's true. I have two broken marked and this will be the females last litter so i just want to be sure if I'll get some nice spotted babies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602