• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please help b&w tail is cracking and starting to see in my red tegu too

blakerosen56

Hey guys, so i already called a vet and am making a apointment but am too worried to sit and wait untill then i hope you guys can give me some feedback or some tips on what i can do or use to help in the meantime. Ive already started using my humidifier and im sure that is the problem because i have such a large 6 foot enclosure and i was letting them freeroam all day. Ive been keeping humididty at 80%-high 90s and have been rubbing in non medicated neo into all the splits and iver whole tegu besides the face

Attachments

• 20210116_163431.jpg
    20210116_163431.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210108_185028.jpg
    20210108_185028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 20210108_185010.jpg
    20210108_185010.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 1611036355922570352328158597643.jpg
    1611036355922570352328158597643.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Agree with the above posts - but since there are open sores, I'd def go to Amazon and purchase some Puriya Wonder Balm. It's about $30, but lasts quite awhile. I tried everything, and feel strongly that the extra fish oil (I cut open fish oil tabs from Costco), about 3 tabs dripped over a good fish like salmon at every feed as well as your other supplements will help....a lot. I think my humidity was off, but I also think that even with perfect humidity, you'll do well with the fish oil. In your case, because of the open sores, I'd try the wonder balm. Just opinion though.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I would warn against the Puriya Wonder Balm, in fact keep your distance from any of the "naturopathic" remedies that many like to advise. Not that I'm against "natural" options, but because most of these are NEVER made with any consideration towards other organisms and often can be quite dangerous. With the case of Puriya Wonder Balm, it contains tea tree oil and Eucalyptus oils, two oils that are considered potentially hazardous to reptiles. While many of these cautions I would myself agree are overstated, in this case you have an animal with cracked integumentary tissue and therefore doesn't have the protection an intact skin provides: best not to take the chance.

You should look into the diet you provide, possibly need to increase variety and maybe incorporate something to increase the PUFA content.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Puriya Wonder Balm is not a product that you'd use regularly. It is only for a situation that calls for something to act swiftly. My worry for an animal with open sores is that infection can happen very easily. What do you think a vet would use? Any product that we can acquire somewhere outside the vet?

Lady2Lucky

Not sure about vets. I recommended the petroleum jelly because that is what pediatricians recommend for babies. When they don't know if they're allergic to anything yet and they're brand spanking new, they use petroleum jelly. Shrug.

Chris & Stitches

Hey guys, so i already called a vet and am making a apointment but am too worried to sit and wait untill then i hope you guys can give me some feedback or some tips on what i can do or use to help in the meantime. Ive already started using my humidifier and im sure that is the problem because i have such a large 6 foot enclosure and i was letting them freeroam all day. Ive been keeping humididty at 80%-high 90s and have been rubbing in non medicated neo into all the splits and iver whole tegu besides the face
I had this identical problem with my female for a couple months. I used coconut oil every day or two and some triple antibiotic / neosporin here and there. Same for minor nose injuries. Took a couple sheds to clear up but has been perfect for a while.
I use sand soil as substrate since then too and it’s great

Agree with Zyn. Worked great for ours, and now fish is his favorite food by quite a bit.
Yeah Tails can get pretty rough looking before they she had mine had me worried oh, but he came through it just fine. I use 60 to 70% humidity. After a good warm bath and I soak allow him to dry out tail should pop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980