• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please help stuck shed and swollen vent :(

Kimchi.Eli

So I have a red tegu he's about 10 months he has had a stuck shed around his butt and top area of his tail that will not come off ... the rest of his body came off no problem. His huimidity has been good at 85% drops down and then goes back up to that every two hours I have a humidifier for him. His temps are at 109 degrees steady he eats good everything is good.

This part of his shed will. not. come. off.

He gets soaked 1-2 times a day in warm water also ..

Am I doing something wrong I am wondering ? His vent is starting to look swollen and I am freaking out I am calling the vet tomorrow but I need some advice on getting a shed like this to come off ? Like I said everything else on his body had no problem it's just this part.. and for his vent to be a little swollen is worrying the shiit out of me he is going to the vet regardless but is there anything to help the skin come off easier ? Any lotions or oils reccomended is this okay for them ? And is there anything to help the swelling to go down ? I know I will get answers from the vet but I would like a second opinion and something I can do to make myself feel better until they can see him, which I hope will be sometime in the next few days. Anyone else have this happen before ?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus shed in patches. Many of us have experienced stubborn patches. A swollen vent may or may not be related to the shed. Good to see vet.

A good preventative is fish oil in the food and moist sohagnum moss in the hide.

dpjm

5 Year Member
After a soak you can rub some coconut oil into the problem area. Let it sit for awhile then try to peel it off.

Kimchi.Eli

Tegus shed in patches. Many of us have experienced stubborn patches. A swollen vent may or may not be related to the shed. Good to see vet.

A good preventative is fish oil in the food and moist sohagnum moss in the hide.
After a soak you can rub some coconut oil into the problem area. Let it sit for awhile then try to peel it off.

Thanks guys i will pick up some oils tomorrow, he has an appointment to see the vet Thursday morning so I hope all will be good with that. He just shed his skin again.. literally his entire body it came off of his butt thankfully but there is still the skin on top of his tail that is still stuck :( atleast the skin that was constricting his vent came off but it is still swollen I am hoping the vet can reccomend some antibiotics to help that clear up.. I can't think of anything else that would make his vent swell like that unless he has some type of infection from something. But I'm sure they will figure this out and he should be good I hope<3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980