• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Poll: Time to tame?

Was your tegu tame from the start? If not, did it ever become tame/handleable?

• Yes, mine was a puppy from day one

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, but mine became tame within a year

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, but mine took over a year to become tame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I've had mine for under a year, and it still isn't tame

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, I've had mine for over a year, and it still isn't tame

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Griffin

Tameness is definitely a perceptive thing, so I must ask, what do you define as tame? I consider myself a lucky one and my tegu wasn’t “tamed” so to speak but she has never hissed, bit, or puffed up on me, I only got whipped once and I fully deserved it. With that being said, I can pick her up, “Pet” her, but she doesn’t like sitting still and won’t just sit in my lap, but I consider that tame! It only took me about 2.5 weeks to a month to reach the level I’m currently at.

One other thing, I’ve noticed this is definitely the most curious reptile I have ever had, and because of there strong curiosity I don’t think its that hard to tame them- Again I’m saying this with only having 1 tegu. But, their curiosity constantly drives them to “new things” and out of every pet I have had experience with, My red Tegu was the easiest to tame. (Not counting dogs/cats, they’re domesticated animals)

NewTeguMom

Well I believe my tegu was abused or at least mistreated before I got him. When he was handed over to me he struggled and scratched my entire arm all the way up.. then when he wa son the transport bag he was fine and calm I rubbed him and he was ok. Then we got him home let him roam our 6,000 sq foot area and he was fine.. he did escape his enclosure and hid on us but since then he has been aggressive. When o touch him he puffs up and hisses, and whips. But I’ve been slowly putting my hand in the enclosure and letting him just smell me for a period of time then after a while I try to rub his back and he puffs up hisses and whips again.. it’s been like this for months now. And I can’t figure out why!!! How do I fix it! Anyone help!?

Waters

Mine was totally docile from day one....allowed me to go as far as pet him while he was eating. If I open the glass and tap on the door, he crawls over into my hand so I can pick him up. This is my first captive bred reptile so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it? I am used to keep Monitors which are quite the opposite for the most part lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam