• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potty training

Georgette120

I have heard of potty training your Tegu.
What I do now is I usually feed her out of her enclosure in either the tub with a swim after or in my walk in shower with shower after to get her moving and usually she has a BM after she eats and moves about awhile. Just using the natural timing to predict the BM.
We spend quite a bit of time in either place because she’s also in her teenage time ( we got her at the beginning of this time). I’m showing her she can trust me and we just hang out in there while I do computer work. She always ends up laying on me even if she starts out sassy. She’s about 10 months.
But that’s another subject.
I want tips on how people potty train or what I cAn do to get her to go in one place. To help with cleaning I made her enclosure bioactive with live plants ( hibiscus and aloe). She’s still on the smaller side so her enclosure is 3 x2x2.
I wish there would just be a designated place.
I want in the future to have a litter box or something like that for her to use because I plan on making her a house tegu.
Am I crazy or is this possible?

Chris & Stitches

I leave a paper towel labeled please poop here next to the pool and my 6 month old 21 inch black and white hits it 3 out of 4 times now. If he poops on the paper towel I remove it and let him out as soon as I see it.if he misses, I leave him and the poop alone for a half hour or so because I can tell he hates the smell since he scratches to get out after he poops.Start by throwing a paper towel over the poop and let them observe it to associate them together

Attachments

• 9D90D5B6-1BC9-4850-A0D6-18D41A5AC613.jpeg
    9D90D5B6-1BC9-4850-A0D6-18D41A5AC613.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • B2BBE4AB-8316-4BC1-8B0C-CB1137B0EA02.jpeg
    B2BBE4AB-8316-4BC1-8B0C-CB1137B0EA02.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I've had mine trained to go outside their tank for awhile now. (less than a year) Honestly, it sort of just happened. I started out with letting them out of the tub, as soon as they pooped. One thing that works with my other lizards as well, is to trickle the water just enough to keep the bath warm, and it will trigger a poop response.

Like dogs, they don't really seem to want to go in their homes. They wait and hold for as long as they can, and then they go. So routine is important. They'll hold it if they're used to being able to relieve themselves in a routine way. You'll be surprised how quickly they catch on! Now, my Tegus also know to go on the kitchen floor when I take them out for several hours. I'll just start writing "please poop here" now, to really seal the deal. Good to know that works... :D

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam