• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Preparing one week before getting a Tegu, need some advice

KlausfromCA

Hello, everyone, this is Klaus,
I'm gone get a Tegu or two in a reptile show on January 4.
I have been searching out what I need to prepare over a few weeks already.
This thread is to confirm my researching is correct and making sure there is nothing I missed.
I have a 4X2X4 Close chamber enclosure I bought a few months before, two spotlights on each side, the center is a UVB light (Arcadia d3 12% UVB t5 bulb - 22).
The substrate is gone be (topsoil, play sand, peat moss) All mix and place in about 3-4 inch deep.
I want to do a bioactive enclosure, but I do not have much experience I'm planning to add a few plants inside see how does go and add fertilizer light and all the insect that eats poops.

My concerned is that my enclosure have very little airflow, would that be the case increasing the disease happen to my animals? Also, for the night temperature, I perf do a heating pad under the enclosure on one corner of the enclosure. I believe is gone be at least 75F at the light for that corner. Should I rather do Ceramic heat light than the heat pad? So they get could warmer inside the air as a baby?

Probably getting an Argentine black white tegu or the blue tegu, I like the color of black white and I researched they are easier to be tamed, and of course getting a captive-bred one. I had the food chat and food ready because I own other reptiles they can share their food together.

Is there anything I missed so far? if possible please recommend me some of the lighting, foods, substrate, plants, and anything you think is good for the tegu.

I really appreciated everyone helped out beginner me to get a good start.

Attachments

• 微信图片_20191228194507.png
    微信图片_20191228194507.png
    755.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 微信图片_20191228194519.jpg
    微信图片_20191228194519.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 微信图片_20191228194527.jpg
    微信图片_20191228194527.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 21
  • 微信图片_20191228194533.jpg
    微信图片_20191228194533.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 微信图片_20191228194548.jpg
    微信图片_20191228194548.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 微信图片_20191228194554.jpg
    微信图片_20191228194554.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 微信图片_20191228194617.png
    微信图片_20191228194617.png
    307.8 KB · Views: 20

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad you're here. Make sure that tempereature is a gradient of 110 hot spot, 80s F ambient, mid70s F moist hidecat other end. Cool things for winter. The tegu needs UV. As an adult needs more room than your dimesions.

KlausfromCA

Glad you're here. Make sure that tempereature is a gradient of 110 hot spot, 80s F ambient, mid70s F moist hidecat other end. Cool things for winter. The tegu needs UV. As an adult needs more room than your dimesions.
Got it, thank you! Will build a bigger enclosure when he getting older and place outside of my back yard. Again thanks for the advice!

Lochlan

I just got mine and taming is proving to be a long process do if you get a "wild one" like me don't get discouraged so far mine bit me 2 times thinking my hands where food just what ever you do just don't give up and good luck

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you do get a young one don't be put off if very its sociable, but once home it retreats for a while..... You're changing this guys whole life and its expected that it will take a little bit of time to settle in.

KlausfromCA

So sad, went to the reptile show today. There are no blue tegu and only few Red/BW tegu juniors put on for sale, and they all doesn’t look good. Probably buyIng a tegu baby online. Does anyone has reliable breeder’s contact? I’m search reptile underground website I don’t know is reliable or not. Does anyone bought a tegu online before? Thank you!

Lochlan

The underground reptiles is mixed I just got mine from cb reptiles and they were fantastic their customer service was amazing by text you can ask them whatever when ever, mine came in super healthy I do highly recommend them

Lochlan

It's going to be hard to find someone who is in stock this time of year because breeding season is in late spring so good luck

KlausfromCA

It's going to be hard to find someone who is in stock this time of year because breeding season is in late spring so good luck
Thank you so much, I will ask them if they still have babies in stock. If doesn't I probably wait for the next season.

KhanKrazy

I almost bought one from a few awesome breeders I found, but ended up purchasing a baby from a local reptile store. They recently got a baby Blue and I just couldn't pass up the coincidence. But there's: Jesse's Jungle, Tropical Reptiles & Exotics, Wildwood Reptiles, Rose City Reptiles, DynAnimal, Laura Roberts, ect. Just go a quick Google search on any.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced