• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Prevent a Mite

candyapplecorn

$15 + $8 S&H, in my opinion, is nothing at all compared to the money I have spent on my hatchling AA tegu "Lola" from Varnyard herps. Lately I had noticed little grey bugs proliferating in her tank, and she on the other hand has been acting less lively.

For the first time in maybe a month that I've had her now, I actually forced her out of her cage. I picked her up with both my hands, grasped her. Sometimes I can get her to walk on to my hand and be friendly, but the poison came in the mail today and I wasn't in a mood to sit around playing games with her. I forced her out of the cage, put her in a nice warm bath, and sprayed that poison all up in my tank. All over it. Ohhh yeah, mites, you DEAD! DEAD!!!

I'll keep you guys updated, but I'm sure and hoping and crossing my fingers that this Prevent-a-Mite kills the mites and NOT my pet tegu. The label says it shouldn't, but my pet is on the line, so I'm a little wary of what a label says. The directions said to fan the tank out after applying the poison so I've had a rotating fan going for about an hour.

I should also add this is the most handling I've ever done before with Lola. She's in my shirt at the moment. She's actually not being a little %#$ for once, haha.

It's been hard too- my whole family except for me is extremely anti-reptile. They're just so scared of reptiles and think they're abhorrent. That makes me the odd one out. I told them that tegus are great and smart etc but right now she's just a little scared hatchling so my parents think I don't know what I'm talking about. Thank god for youtube. If it werent for youtube I wouldn't have proof that tegus are great!

:)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you sure they are even mites? What are you using for substrate? Do the bugs fly? When you sprayed the cage did you remove everything except the substrate and mix the substrate around while spraying? Chemicals should be the last resort when dealing with reptiles.

candyapplecorn

They don't fly, I'm using coconut husk, I removed only the water bowl, I did not mix the substrate while spraying but after letting it sit and be ventilated with a fan for an hour I did mix the substrate and I also misted the tank with my spray bottle to increase the humidity.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't have even sprayed the substrate, it can absorb and hold the chemicals, which means it now needs more time to dry and air out. While mixing and turning it every so often since they burrow in it. Better to just toss it and add new substrate.

Also,.. as James said, you should have identified the insects before jumping to Provent a Mite.

candyapplecorn

Well I'm no professional or veteran but I did order provent a mite for a reason, that is I believe I'm dealing with mites. And the chemical which I'm using is supposed to be safe once the fumes are gone. So I'm not worried about the chemicals staying in the tank. They're supposed to actually. The product says it's supposed to linger for 20-30 days and keep killing mites.
candyapplecorn said:
Well I'm no professional or veteran but I did order provent a mite for a reason, that is I believe I'm dealing with mites. And the chemical which I'm using is supposed to be safe once the fumes are gone. So I'm not worried about the chemicals staying in the tank. They're supposed to actually. The product says it's supposed to linger for 20-30 days and keep killing mites.

I did some research just now,

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?51896-How-to-use-Provent-a-mite-without-killing-your-snake/page2&s=ea589e7992ddcebcb7ddea497e0b6881

is a thread about Provent a Mite and here's the answer I was looking for:

Just in case anyone was interested, Bob Pound of Pro-Products got back to me in response to the question of whether or not PAM would still be safe if the treated cage becomes wet. Here's his response:

Brad,

Once PAM has completely dried on a surface, it is not water soluble, so will remain intact and effective in high humidity enclosures and is not affected by misting. In fact, you can wash the cage with soap and water and there will still be sufficient residual left to continue to kill mites and ticks.

Bob Pound [email protected]

Pro Products www.pro-products.com
-Brad

So I guess everything's cool then :)

roastedspleen

i just wanted to take the time i have left on the computer and ask why you have a meme for a picture????

also i will remember this if any of my future reptiles get mites or ticks

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use both Provent a mite and Bio shield but not on substrate some things just don't add up. Especially if you feed insects inside the enclosure. Why would you want to use something that's hard to dilute with water after its dry, on a surface that an animal who absorbs moisture through it's skin comes in contact with constantly?

It's not something that's suppose to be ingested, which they do sometimes eat their substrate. Substrate also gets into their water bowl when they soak in it or get to moving things around.

Don't get me wrong,.. they're great products but should be used with caution just like everything else.

kellen.watkins

I'm not sure if I would even wanna use something like that, I would just change the substrate and clean te terrarium extensively and inspect my tegu then act and maybe put the gu in a quarintine bin, I've never had to deal with mites though (fingers crossed)

If you are going to use any mite treatment I would say go with Mite Off. It is not harmful to your pets. Prevent a mite is extremely potent and spraying it will literally kill any feeder bugs within seconds. Use to be very heavy into snakes and when I had received 1 snake it had mites. I used prevent a mite it was too potent it killed all my feeder bugs. I recommend mite off hands down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tildaworkneh