• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Prolapse and no vet for two weeks?!

timemeddler

Well the only exotic vet apparently can't do anything for 2 weeks, and all the regular veterinarians flat wont touch a reptile. His colon is coming out, aside from sugar bath and coaxing it back in and Vaseline, is there anything to be done at this point? Denton wont eat and it come out about an inch twice in the last 3 days, should I try some sort of damper bandage or something? I just don't want him to have to go bathroom and make it even worse by wrapping his vent area. Any suggestions?

timemeddler

showing signs of improvement, eating again, and staying inside for more than a day, it'll be a few week till the vet is available, does anyone know of any do's and don'ts in the meantime, I'm keeping him on light feeding only for at least a few days.

ToadHallBetty

I have heard (NERD care videos) that it is important to keep a prolapse clean and prevent it from drying out. (not sure how you would do this for weeks) an experienced keeper might know how to carefully put it back in if you can find someone in your area. I can't believe your vet, weeks for an appointment when the situation could be time sensitive!!!???
For an emergency type visit, my vet would work me in.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
If it were mine, and I am NOT a vet - (but did have a small prob with prolapse after a serious prob with impaction) - I would keep coaxing it back in after it's cleaned. Hopefully (I know, not much to go on here), it will not become chronic. Gotta keep at it and then maybe catch the vet. It is a common prob with Tegus, and no one seems to be sure what causes it. It obviously happens when they strain to go - so watch his diet, make sure he has frozen/thawed prey, and LOTS of water - clean and changed no less than every few days.

One other thing - I don't understand the sugar part of the baths....I would do very warm baths for the relaxing result they produce. Often as you're able. For the time being - I'd place an old clean towel down, so he can't get substrate on him after the bath.

timemeddler

Well happy ending, solid week of no issues, back to cleaning his plate, good report from the vet, no sign of an lasting effects. now I just have to determine what caused it, was given a vial for a fecal sample, apparently that has to be fresh and wet so I cant just pick up any turd I find in the enclosure. Does anyone know If eating too large a meal could have contributed because a day or so before all this I rewarded him with an extra large helping, maybe too much?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
From my experience, I'd say yes, they can over stuff themselves. the probs I had with my adult male came after I decided he could have 2 adult mice in one day. I've never done that since and he's had no probs for over a year now. I still make sure he gets the frozen/thawed mice, but not more than one in a day. Glad the situation worked out!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980