• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Prolapsed tegu

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
Hey guys so earlier this morning i went to put a dish of eggs in for Klinc and he was basking got up and i left the room for a minute next thing I knew he was scurrying around like he was on fire! At first I though he pooped and it was stuck to him but then on closer inspecting it was his rectum or something hanging out! I was very scared and i had brought him to the sink to wash of the substrate so it wouldnt hurt him. i had to hold him still as I tried to find the closest vet and it all went back inside. what should I do? should I keep an eye on him and make sure he is doing ok? what about feeding him? if I feed and he has to go poop is it going to happen again? he hasnt eaten for a few days and I feel like it was a reflex to go poop but because he did have anything it just popped out.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Did it look like this? These are hemipenes, not a rectal prolapse.
427px-Tupinambis_teguixin_7.jpg

Or did it look like this? This is a rectal prolapse.
2665631.jpg

Read this on prolapse: http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/prolapse.html

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
It was like the second pic. It went back in after a few minutes. I'm just worried and afraid to feed him something

dpjm

5 Year Member
Just continue feeding as normal and watch for it. If it happens again take him to the vet. Do read the page from that link, it is good information.

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
Yeah I did read it thanks. I think I know why it happened as well. I was trying not to feed him so he could go down and I read not to feed for two weeks but he never went down so I think he tried to pass a bowel out of relflex and because he didn' have anything in him it prolapsed. It corrected itself in a few seconds. But I will keep an eye on him. Thank god I'm out of classes for another 3 weeks so I have the time

Guman

Did you change his diet any after the prolapse? Waiting to pick my guy up from the vet. He has been here since Sunday with prolapse.

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
no I didnt change his diet. what had actually led to the prolapse was him not eating because he had gone down to brumate but popped up a few days later and tried to poop but ddint because there was nothing to poop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602