• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Proper enclosure size?

Goober112

Hey guys,
I got a little squirt of a red tegu at an expo about a month ago, since then he’s ballooned to about 8 inches body length (minus the tail). He fit in an 8oz deli cup when I got him. Just wondering when the right time to move him to a bigger enclosure would be since I’ve heard different things about them feeling insecure in an enclosure that’s too big or aggressive and stressed in one too small. He’s currently in a 24”x18”x12” and doesn’t seem aggressive, just doesn’t really want to be touched yet unless I’m feeding him. I do have a bunch of spare 3 and 4 foot cages I can move him to, I just don’t want to move him too early and stress him.

Nicodemus

I think the general rule of thumb is have the cage be 1.5x there body length, once it outgrows that it’s completely fine to move them to a bigger enclosure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980