• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Proud new father! With some questions.

Nick mazz

I’m new to this forum but it seemed like a good place to ask a couple questions.
First me and my buddy rodney’s ( he’s a red and white tegu)Schedule don’t match up very well because I work all day. I have been leaving food in the cage in the morning and taking it out when I get home. I don’t get to see him very much unless I dig him up. My question is should I continue to leave food in his enclosure the way I have been doing or is it okay if I dig him up when I get home and take him out to feed him. This also makes it possible for us to spend some time together.
For example today I dug him up let him soak a little bit in warm water and he ate a thawed pinky mouse afte he came out of the tub to roam around a bit.
I’m just trying to figure out if I should continue to feed him like this so we can see each other more or if digging him up like that is a bad idea. If I don’t dig him up I only really get to see him on days I have off which is not very often. Thanks!

EnjoysWine

I have a young Red Tegu as well, and I'm in the same boat as you . . . I only see Ruby during the day on weekends. Luckily for me, Ruby is wide awake at 7am so I make a point of spending some time with her and feeding her each morning before work.

Digging him up should be fine. Keep an eye on if he has any panic or aggression when you do so. If there is, just wait for him to calm down then try again slowly. If you feed him after digging him up, then that will also serve as a reward for him and he'll eventually be happy to see you for the food. I rarely give Ruby food inside her enclosure, as I'd rather she look forward to coming out to get food.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They naturally begin their day in the morning and only for a while. Again later in the afternoon sometimes. In cooler temps they'll come out later and stay out longer.

Because they're morning animals, I'd feed them in the morning, let them bask for a while and go back under. talk to him when you feed him even though he's in his hide and talk to him when you're doing maintenance or digging him out in the evening. Once out, he'll likely rest on your lap with his head under your shirt.

Nick mazz

Yeah he usually huffs at me when I dig him up but then he realizes it’s me and calms down. He doesn’t exactly like when I pick him up and will back away from it but he’s starting to figure out that my hand is his way out. Problem is with morning he is never up early in the morning so he usually doesn’t see me put food in the enclosure. Should I wake him when I do this? I initially set his light to come on later hoping that it would kinda change his schedule to closer to mine but as of yet I only see him if I’m digging him up or if I have the day off. It also doesn’t seem like he really touches the food I leave in the enclosure during the day.

Today after his soak and his pinky mouse he still seemed really interested and food and it was the most I’ve seen him eat since I brought him home.

Nick mazz

How early do your basking lamps turn on? Maybe he hasn't warmed up enough yet in the morning to come out to eat.

Well I set them late like 11:30 because I said before I was trying to make his schedule more like mine. But today I didn’t wake him up when I got home and the food I left in the tank was untouched.

EnjoysWine

That seems extremely late to me. My lamps turn on at around 6:30 am and turn off at 7:30pm. Tegus are normally most active in the morning so I don't know if you'll be able to break them of that normal cycle. I rarely see Ruby out and about in her enclosure past 3pm even though the lamps are on for several more hours. You might have more luck trying to get her to eat in the early morning.

Nick mazz

That seems extremely late to me. My lamps turn on at around 6:30 am and turn off at 7:30pm. Tegus are normally most active in the morning so I don't know if you'll be able to break them of that normal cycle. I rarely see Ruby out and about in her enclosure past 3pm even though the lamps are on for several more hours. You might have more luck trying to get her to eat in the early morning.

So I should have the lights come on earlier and wake him up to eat even if he’s still burried. And does this mean I shouldn’t be digging him up later to spend time with him?

EnjoysWine

Ya, I would say have the lights come on early and try to spend time with him and feed him early, and leave him alone in the evening. That's my opinion. Actually I do exactly that with Ruby and so far it's been working well. She eats a lot each morning and spends time out of her enclosure before I go to work. Then weekends I get to spend a bit more time with her. I never usually bother her later in the day unless I see that she's active.

Nick mazz

Ya, I would say have the lights come on early and try to spend time with him and feed him early, and leave him alone in the evening. That's my opinion. Actually I do exactly that with Ruby and so far it's been working well. She eats a lot each morning and spends time out of her enclosure before I go to work. Then weekends I get to spend a bit more time with her. I never usually bother her later in the day unless I see that she's active.

Alright thanks I’ll try doing this

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced