• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Questions, questions and questions

jillann1177

Hi guys this is the first time actually posting on here. We brought our red tegu home on march 31, no one seems to have any idea how old he is. When we got him home he measures tip to tip 10 inches,we have been keeping record of growth he is about 1.2 lbs and 25 inches. Ok so my questions are: why is he so sluggish right now i feel like he is another teenager, wakes up to eat and poo and right back to sleep. Can they get their days and nights mixed up? He is in a 40 gallon breeder is it to soon to go into his big enclosure? We are going to our 1st appointment tomorrow is there anything i should ask ? Thanks and we love reading and learning with everyones post. There is nothing that really helps us learn more besides threads like this.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200410_161231.jpg
    20200410_161231.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 11

Jorgo

Age wise - from what I understand, 10 inches is about hatchling size. So he could have possibly been born in march.

As long as the big enclosure has plenty of hiding spots or enough space to burrow, he/she should feel pretty secure.

As for wake, poo, go back to bed,could potentially be brumation. My little guy did the same thing, spent the majority of his time sleeping. Until the warmer months. There is also the possibility he is still feeling shy around you. My own tegu only recently started really getting used to me and spending time outside near me. I got him back in november.

That being said, you may want to check your enclosures temperature and make sure they're hitting their marks. Basking spot around 110F degrees, warm side around 80F to 90F, and cool side 70F to 80F.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome. Gad to hear that this forum is helpful to you. At 10", probably a month old when you got him. On the right track with him measuring 25" now. Has anything changed in his set-up that might be responsible for his slower activity? Is he eating, drinking, and pooping? Also, does he look plump or noticeably thinner? A good exotic vet ill spot the problem if not husbandry.

jillann1177

Thanks for responding, we did take him to a vet, he looks great right on target healthy, also did a poo sample and all good there also. I am pretty sure it may have to do with he being in his enclosure longer then he has been, almost annoyed with us, he wants nothing to do with my son who is his primary care taker, he only wants to be near me, not sure if thats possible i mean Remy certainly has his own personality. Also we removed a heating pad thinking he was too hot, we since have been taking him out earlier and put the heating pad back he ia back to himself. Remy is something. I do have another questions, i did leave a message for the vet, so while i am waiting for his response.... if my tegu is free roaming how do we keep his body hydrated. When he is in the living room just relaxing he has a small cat tunnel/bed he loves, we have a humidifier facing him, but what about the rest of the time?
Thanks everyone

Attachments

• 20200612_211141.jpg
    20200612_211141.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Jorgo

Have a bowl of water out near where likes to be. That should be sufficent, if he wants to drink, he will. Just make sure to change the water as needed

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam