• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rasputin the Scheltopusik

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
This is Rasputin, the scheltopusik I picked up at the Reptile Super Show on Saturday. It was love at first sight and I think he's awesome. He was exactly what i was looking for to replace the Mexican black kingsnake I am getting rid of. So far Rasputin seems to be doing well. I have him set up in a quarantine tank in the guest bedroom, which is on the first floor of my house (my reptiles live in my room on the second floor). He ate a bowl of Zoo Med canned crickets and I'm going to offer him some snails tomorrow.
[attachment=6112][attachment=6113][attachment=6114]

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 15

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I got one a couple of months ago and they are so cool! I've been wanting one for years! I'm having a problem with nose rub though. He has escaped twice (from me forgetting to lock the lid) so now he keeps trying to pry the lid open. :(

got10

I had one that escaped from my reptile room a few years ago and have not seen hide nor hair of it since but i noticed there were far fewer field mice around my home each spring . I really was impressed by it for the time it was allowing me to think it was in my custody

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol got10, that pretty much sums it up. We give our animals little voices and make comments about what it looks it they're saying. This guy has such an attitude about him.

Skeetzy

Those creep me out, and I'm not sure why. Something about a snake with a lizards head lol. And to top it off, they're escape artists?!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine sure is. And we find him peeking out behind the book case or the indoor tegu cage. He looks at us like, "Oh drat...it's you. Ok then, catch me and let's get this over with." He's awesome and very watchful of us.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Rasputin the Scheltopusik

laurarfl said:
Mine sure is. And we find him peeking out behind the book case or the indoor tegu cage. He looks at us like, "Oh drat...it's you. Ok then, catch me and let's get this over with." He's awesome and very watchful of us.

So do u ever catcg him

from Samsung Galaxy S3

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
So far, Rasputin spends most of the time buried. He's eaten everything I've put in the dish so far. laurafl, how often do you feed yours?

Deac77

5 Year Member
These just look wrong I mean looking at it you can tell its not a snake but its not a lizard either bah! I know what they are but when I look at them my brain says WTF?!?

That being said he looks awesome ;)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sure we catch him. He just sits there and lets us catch him. Once he's found, he sort of surrenders. Sort of. The really weird part is when he hisses and then alligator rolls. That's funky!

Mine is waaaay active, but a really picky eater. I can only get him to eat F/T pinkies, scrambled egg, and crickets. I feed him about 4x week right now. He turns his nose up at earthworms, canned snails and shrimp. I'm going to try superworms tomorrow. Mostly he just wants to get out through the lid. I think he is a recent import.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
So far mine's eaten everything I've offered: canned crickets, canned snails, red wiggler earthworms, and a silverside. I was told by the fellow I bought him from they'd been feeding him crickets and dubias and that he didn't like mealworms. Turns out Rasputin's stool is full of parasites (not surprising for a wild-caught specimen) so I have to take him in for treatment once a week for three weeks.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was wondering about parasite load. I haven't had a stool check done yet, but my ferrets are going to the exotics vet next week so I can drop one off then.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
laurarfl said:
I was wondering about parasite load. I haven't had a stool check done yet, but my ferrets are going to the exotics vet next week so I can drop one off then.

I'd do it sooner rather than later. One of the parasites Rasputin's got, strongyloides, is contagious to humans, and it wouldn't surprise me if other scheltopusiks had it too. I'm minimizing my handling until he's done with his treatment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam