• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Raw dog food - for Tegus

EnjoysWine

I found a place near me that sells raw ground meat, bones and organs meant for dogs. Seems perfect for Tegus as well. They even make a variety with vegetables ground in. Does anyone use something like this for their Tegus, or have any other comments regarding this type of product?
20180819_081430.jpg

Gary

As long as there aren’t fillers, then it’s fine. This is not a staple meal though. It’s almost all water. I use premium wet dog wood to make sure my tegu stays hydrated and for variety. But it’s not an every day meal.

EnjoysWine

As long as there aren’t fillers, then it’s fine. This is not a staple meal though. It’s almost all water. I use premium wet dog wood to make sure my tegu stays hydrated and for variety. But it’s not an every day meal.

It's just ground up meat, organ, and bone, so I don't see why the moisture content would be any higher than any other meat or prey.

dpjm

5 Year Member
It's just ground up meat, organ, and bone, so I don't see why the moisture content would be any higher than any other meat or prey.

Moisture content is not the concern here, almost any food is at least half water. Most produce is at least 80% water. Rats are over 60% water.

What I would be concerned about is the very high protein and fat content and very low fibre content, which are the main problems with feeding omnivorous lizards dog food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602