• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Recovering Tegu and Shedding Problems

Jennifer Frossard

I have a Tegu that just fought sepsis for four months and came out healed from it. He was on antibiotics and pain medication for four months. HIs tail had to be amputated to get all the bacteria in his tail. He is still recovering from surgery, he lives in a sterile grow tent with no dirt. He has a comforter and a hide in his house that gets sanitized daily. He came off antibiotics and pain meds last week. Now he has stuck shed. His humidity is at 90% I have given him probiotics and Super Vitamin B-Complex. He cannot have baths yet, maybe in another two weeks. He has about three layers of shed coming off his jowls. The shed is really moist and smells like popcorn. I am debating on calling the vet again. At his last appointment a couple weeks ago I brought up shedding to the vet and she said he could go back to dirt once his tail is healed. What can I do for my poor boy. He has overcome so much just to deal with a shedding problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips. Should I make a sooner appointment for the vet. Right now he goes to the vet every two weeks for them to check on his tail and see how it is healing.

Oh wow, this is so sad. I’m very glad he has such a good owner like you. I say take him to the vet, you should take him frequently till he’s all good.

Jennifer Frossard

Oh wow, this is so sad. I’m very glad he has such a good owner like you. I say take him to the vet, you should take him frequently till he’s all good.
I took him to the vet the very next day. His shed just didn't look right, he didn't look right. His eyes were telling me hey I don't feel good. He now has a bacterial skin infection. The vet thinks his immune system is so down that he picked up the skin infection. If your Tegu every has shed that smells like popcorn please note that is bacteria and get them to the vet immediatley. He is back on antibiotics for 4 weeks, pain meds for two weeks, silver sulfadize cream, betadine baths every day for 30 minutes. The vet also prescribed Ku Shen Si Wu and Wei Qi Booster to rebuild his immune system. This has been the worst 5 months of his life, we will be heading back to the vet when he comes off antibiotics and I am getting him screened for everything. Xrays, blood cultures, CBC, anything that tells me he is bacteria free. All I can say is thank you for pet insurance. There would be no way I could have afforded all his medical bills without it.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Wow - so sorry you're going through so much....but thanks for informing us all of the details of it. This is the best way for us all to figure out our own animal's probs. They are very hardy animals - good luck to you! Keep us informed!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam